Sunday, January 10, 2016

Simple Savory Rolls

Yea, I got sucked in.  I go to both of those big box stores, which I love, and saw crescent roll sheets.  Of course they were in a mega box, 4 to a box, so I couldn't help myself and bought them.  They were sitting in the fridge over the holidays, I thought I would certainly use them for something, I didn't.  They were staring me down, so I used them to make Italian Cheese and Basil rolls for dinner with my Chicken Marsala.
Recipe below.
To print recipe, click on it, highlight and print.
To view photos in a larger format, click on them.

I started with a sheet of the crescent dough, melted butter, basil and Pecorino Romano cheese.  Brush the melted butter over the dough.
 Sprinkle on the grated cheese and sliced basil.  Start rolling up at the long end of the dough.
 Slice the roll and place on a parchment lined baking sheet.
 Bake until golden brown. They come out soft on the inside and crispy on the outside, with a savory and salty taste, so good I couldn't stop eating them!
And, they look pretty!  I think these are good enough to use even as an appetizer for a party.  Mix 'em up by stuffing with other ingredients, use your imagination.  Sweet, or savory and salty, you choose.
Italian Cheese and Basil Rolls

Ingredients
1 tube of sheet crescent roll dough
4 tablespoons butter, melted
6 fresh basil leaves, sliced
1/2 cup grated Italian cheese, I used Pecorino - Romano

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, set aside.  Unroll the sheet of crescent dough.  Brush the dough with melted butter, sprinkle with cheese and sliced basil.  Roll the dough up from the long end, seal the edge by pinching it.  Cut the roll into 2 inch slices and place on the baking sheet. Bake for 12-14 minutes or until golden brown.  Serve hot.  Makes 12 rolls.


0 comments:

Post a Comment