Saturday, February 7, 2015

Another Winner Chicken Dinner - Chicken Pesto Rollups

I got a little adventurous in the kitchen yesterday, I had chicken breasts to make for dinner and wanted to do something awesome with them.  There are so many different cuts of chicken which makes it so versatile, the hard part is figuring out what to do with it and not making the old standby favorites that I usually make.  I shopped my pantry shelves and my refrigerator and came up with Chicken Pesto Rollups.  This is how I made them, recipe below.  To print recipe, click, highlight and print.

With just a few ingredients I already had in the pantry and the fridge, I turned these chicken breasts into a star at my house!  Season and spread on the pesto.
 Add the provolone and the peppers.
Roll them up and place seam side down in prepared baking dish. 
 Cover with foil and let the magic begin.
 Pretty and bursting with flavor.  I had some leftover rolls, so I made herb garlic bread to go along with my chicken.
 I also made roasted grape tomatoes smothered in garlic, herbs and a little olive oil.
 Never mind those brownies in the back there, focus, focus.......I baked the tomatoes in the oven along side the chicken for about 20 minutes or just until they pop.  I tossed them with linguine as my side dish.
Dinner is served and it was F-A-B-U-L-O-U-S!
Chicken Pesto Rollups

Ingredients
Cooking Spray
4 large boneless, skinless, chicken breasts
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup prepared pesto
4 slices provolone cheese
1 - 12 oz. jar roasted red peppers, sliced
2 bamboo skewers, cut in half

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Spray a baking dish with the cooking spray.  Place the chicken breasts in a resealable plastic bag and squeeze out all the air as you are sealing the bag.  This is so it doesn't explode as you are pounding the meat.  With the smooth side of a meat tenderizer, pound the breasts until they are flat. Transfer them to the baking dish smooth side down (the inside of the breast facing up) season the inside with half of the salt and pepper. Evenly spread the pesto on chicken breasts.  Place 1 slice of provolone on top of the pesto, then a few slices of roasted pepper.  Roll the chicken at one end and seal with a skewer to hold it together while it bakes in the oven, the chicken should be seam side down in the pan.  Sprinkle with the other half of the salt and pepper.  Cover the pan with foil and bake for 30 minutes.  Uncover the pan and baste the chicken breasts with some of the oil that has accumulated in the baking dish.  Cover back up and continue to bake for another 20 minutes, in the last 10 minutes of baking uncover the pan to brown the chicken.  All ovens vary, chicken is done when it is firm.  Makes 4 servings.



0 comments:

Post a Comment