Tuesday, February 17, 2015

It's a Great Day For Soup - Vegetarian Italian Minestrone Soup

It is freezing in my neck of the woods, it was 5 degrees when I went outside yesterday morning.  I had to drop my son off to get his car inspected, my car would not start, the retractable running boards on my car were jammed because they were frozen, and the lights on my dashboard were all frozen on. I immediately felt the cold as soon as I opened the garage door to go out.  It is dangerously cold weather for this region, it doesn't usually get this bad.  In less than a minute I could feel my hands freezing up and could not wait to get back inside where it was warm.  Today, 3-4 inches of snow already and more to come. UGGGHHH! I'm tired of the snow and cold, I need warmth.

So, on my return trip yesterday from dropping off my son, I decided it was an excellent day for a hot, hearty soup.  Is there any other way, besides alcohol I mean, to warm you up?  So I headed to the kitchen and this is what I made, Vegetarian Italian Minestrone Soup.  I am going to serve it with some grated Parmesan Cheese on top and hot crusty Italian bread on the side. Recipe below, to print the recipe just click, highlight and print.
 Buon Appetito!


To start I pull out all of my ingredients, it's easier that way for me so I am not running all over the kitchen.
 Olive oil, chopped onion and minced garlic.
 Carrots and celery, add to the pot with salt and pepper.  Add the stock and tomatoes.
 Drain the beans and chop that parsley, and add them in with the Italian seasoning.
 Stir it all up and let it simmer.  Then add the chopped kale.......
 and the pasta.  When ready to serve top with grated cheese.  Yummy!
 I can't believe I ate it all, it was sooooo good!
VEGETARIAN ITALIAN MINESTRONE SOUP

Ingredients
2 tablespoons of olive oil
4 carrots, chopped
4 ribs celery with leaves, sliced
1/2 large onion, chopped
3 big cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon pepper
2 - 32 oz. boxes vegetable stock
2 - 28 oz cans crushed tomatoes
1 - 15 oz can diced tomatoes
2- 15 oz cans cannelini or kidney beans or one of each, drained
2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
1/4 cup chopped fresh flat leaf Italian parsley
2 cups small shell pasta, ditalini or any other small pasta, cooked
2 cups chopped escarole, kale or spinach
Grated Parmagiano - Reggiano cheese

Directions
In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium high heat.  Add the carrots, celery, onion, garlic and season with salt and pepper.  Cook and stir for 5 minutes, be careful not to burn the garlic.  Add the stock, crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, beans, Italian seasoning, and parsley.  Reduce heat to medium, bring to a boil, stir occasionally. Start a pot of salted water for the pasta.  When water is boiling add pasta and cook until al dente.  Drain the pasta, then add to the soup along with the kale.  Reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 2 hours. Serve with grated cheese and crusty Italian bread.
Serves 8 - 10.






0 comments:

Post a Comment