Friday, February 27, 2015

Time To Spruce up The House - Spring Redo's

I am well rested from re-decorating my daughters bedroom and bath, I am on a roll again, so now it's on to other rooms in the house.  I am painting and redecorating the boys bath and the guest room in our home. It has been quite an undertaking as I wanted to purchase things on sale and clearance, as always.  It's not that hard, you just have to wait for the sales to pick up things you need as you go along.  And I did  pick up alot of things over the last 2 days for the guest bedroom, and I think I saved myself alot of money.  I was undecided as to what theme/colors I was going to redo the room in, but once I had the inspiration it was decided and I just went with it.  Now, I do have to pick up a few more things for the walls and the room, but I already have ideas in mind.  When the warmer weather hits the furniture in the guest room will be painted white, so stayed tuned for the pics when both rooms are completed!

The color pallette in the guest room now is a soft green on the walls, red and cream decor and the furniture is black. This room has access to the full bath on the first floor via a door of it's own.  In the past this room has housed many people, an exchange student for 2 years, my daughter before she made settlement on her home, my mother-in-law and numerous overnight guests.  It is the fifth bedroom in our home, and I am happy to have it even though it now only sees an occasional guest.

The three stores I visited were IKEA,  TJMaxx and Kohl's
IKEA - floral pillow, $14.99 and yellow and white striped duvet set $29.99
TJMaxx - yellow, grey and white patterned 95" long draperies, $29.99 per pair, 72" fringed scarf runner for
 bureau, $7.99
Kohl's - canvas art, $9.99
I am leaning towards painting the room a dove grey color.
Now on to the boys bath. They share a Jack and Jill bath, cabinets and fixtures are white, a great clean slate to work with. Tub and toilet are in a closed door area (water closet), while the double sinks are in a large galley type area with doors leading into both of their rooms.  The color pallette in there now is gold, red, brown, and some olive green.  I decided to use a light grey in this room too.  White and grey with an accent of maybe red or blue.  I like a lot of color, they don't.  I was going to accent the bath with color using towels and other decor. I have a problem with their towels because my boys are messy (imagine that, boys being messy?).  I was constantly buying new towels because they bleach them out when they wash them, they look ugly and usually have to be thrown out.  SO, my son said just buy white towels, I said are you crazy, I will never get them clean with you guys!  But then my light bulb went off, great idea, you CAN bleach them and they won't get ugly.

 The stores I used for this redo are IKEA, Ross, Costco and Gabriel's
IKEA - Striped rug for bath area, $9.99, big grey and white 5 x 7 rug for sink area, $19.99
Ross - Big grey and white patterned bath sheets, $7.99 each, 6 pk of washcloths, $4.99
Gabriel's -  Grey and white striped shower curtain, $3.99
Costco - 6 white bath towels, $5.99 each and 4 white hand towels, $3.99 each








0 comments:

Post a Comment