Thursday, September 25, 2014

Green Pasta

Just me and my son the vegan in the house last night for dinner.  We were both hungry, he just came in from school, and I hadn't eaten all day.  I had a lot of fresh veggies to use up in the refrigerator, but with no meat on the menu for him, I had to come up with something good for both of us to eat.  I had broccoletti, asparagus, all kinds of colored peppers, fresh parsley and garlic waiting for me in the refrigerator.  I also had watercress, a favorite of mine in there too, so I made a simple salad out of that.  We both enjoyed it, got our bellies full and satisfied.  I topped mine with grated Parmesan cheese.  This is how I made it.

On high heat, put on a pot of salted water for the pasta. Wash and trim the broccoletti and the asparagus, pat dry.  
  In a saute pan, on medium heat, add 3 tablespoons of olive oil and 3 minced cloves of garlic.  I used a red pepper for color in this dish, cut it into bite size pieces and add it to the garlic.  Chop the broccolini and slice the asparagus on the diagonal and add to the pan.  Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes, 1 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper.  Cook the vegetables just until they are tender, not mushy, they should have bite to them.  
 When the water starts to boil, add your pasta.  I used Farfalle, we love that shape of pasta.   Right before serving, hit the veggies with juice from 1/2 of a lemon, and 2 tablespoons of fresh chopped parsley.
 Top with grated cheese if you like, and a side salad of watercress, red onion and grape tomatoes with garlic dressing rounds out the meal.

0 comments:

Post a Comment