Friday, August 29, 2014

Fried Dough

If you're Italian, you certainly grew up eating fried dough, and if you are not Italian, you have probably eaten fried dough at an Italian feast or carnival.  Pasta Fritta, Pizza Fritte or Zeppoli, it's all good.  It is the best inexpensive treat I make for my family and it doesn't take long to make.  I was lucky enough to have my son bring home a ton of fresh dough, from the bakery he gets bread from, for the restaurant where he works.  I had so much of it (6 one pound bags), that I froze a lot of it to use later for pizza or whatever else I can come up with.  I kept one bag out and made fried dough the other night.  You can also buy fresh dough at most grocery stores, it can be found in the dairy case.  This is how I make it and you will love it.  

I use canola oil to fry the dough, put about 2 cups in the bottom of a deep frying pan.  
Heat the oil on high heat, until a small ball of dough dropped in the oil, floats to the top.  Reduce heat to medium/medium- high.  Layer a few paper towels on a plate to drain the dough when you take it out of the oil.    
 While the oil is heating, grab a paper lunch bag and pour 1 1/2 cups of sugar into the bag.  This is to coat your dough when done frying.
 You can also use cinnamon & sugar.  I make 1/2 the fried dough regular sugar and 1/2 cinnamon sugar.  Cut pieces of dough into the sizes of your choice.  I like them on the smaller size, 2 or 3 bites each.
Stretch the pieces out before dropping into the oil.  Brown on one side, then using tongs, flip them over and brown on the other side.  
Remove from oil with tongs, to the paper towels and drain.  Toss a few in the bag of sugar.
 Shake to coat them and place on a platter.
I'm in heaven with these delicious little pillows of sweetness.  Dig in, they are great!




0 comments:

Post a Comment