Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Happiness Is A Basket of Strawberries.......

Strawberries are one fruit we have in our house all year long, blueberries as well.  They are full of antioxidants and fiber, fight bad cholesterol, are anti-inflammatory and last but not least my favorite, they're anti-aging! What a great little fruit they are.  Strawberries have so many good things about them, besides the fact that they are just plain delicious and sweet. 

I try to find many ways to use my strawberries, outside of putting them in cereal or just eating them out of the box. I do put them in many different kinds of salads that I make, because we eat a lot of salad in this house too. Plain salad with vegetables is boring to me, so I like to push things up to a new level with salads, especially when that is the main course.  I made this fruit-full salad last night and it was spectacular! It was so filling I didn't need a dessert and still wasn't hungry when I woke up this morning. Check it out and make it, you'll love it.
Recipe Below.

I started with 2 boxes of greens, one was a mix and one was spinach. Don't mind the organic labels, unless you are an organic food eater.  This is what I buy, I have an organic vegan in the house so you all know how that goes.  I also used romaine in my salad for crunchiness.
Toss the lettuces together in a large bowl. Some of my ingredients.
 I added in a few more ingredients and chicken.
 Building the salad with all this healthy deliciousness.
 And what is a salad without cheese, any kind of cheese, and crispy wonton strips.
 And, what can I say about glazed pecans, they're so good! You could also use sliced 
almonds or walnuts if you like.
 Dice up and add the chicken breasts after they cool so your salad doesn't wilt.
 Now the best part, the Strawberry Balsamic Vinaigrette, it's awesome!
All ready to go.
 Let's Eat!
Hearty Chicken and Strawberry Salad

Ingredients for Salad
2 whole boneless, skinless chicken breast
1 Tbsp. olive oil
salt and pepper
6 cups of mixed greens, washed
1 large head of romaine lettuce, washed and chopped
1 1/2 cups sliced strawberries
1/2 cup blueberries
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup matchstick carrots
1/2 red onion, sliced
1 cup crumbled feta cheese
1/4 cup bacon bits
1 cup crispy wonton strips
1/2 cup glazed pecans

Ingredients for Dressing
1 cup Strawberry Balsamic Vinegar
1/2 cup Olive Oil
1/2 tsp. Kosher Salt
1/4 tsp. Cracked Black Pepper
1/8 tsp. Cayenne Pepper, more if you like heat
Shake vigorously in a jar until all is combined.

Instructions
In a frying pan over medium high heat, add the olive oil and heat until hot.  Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper on both sides.  Cook the chicken breasts for 8 minutes on each side or until juices run clear.  Cover with a lid, turn off the heat, let cool.

In a large bowl, toss all the greens together.  Add the strawberries, blueberries, cranberries, carrots, onion, feta, bacon, wonton strips and glazed pecans. Add chicken around the sides of the bowl.

Toss with desired amount of dressing. 

Makes 4-6 servings







0 comments:

Post a Comment