Tuesday, March 9, 2021

Hearty Beef Barley Soup

It is still very cold in these parts, and snowed again a little bit yesterday.  When it's cold outside I hibernate inside where it's warm and cozy.  So on that note, it was a great day to make a pot of soup and I got to work in my kitchen.  My kitchen is my favorite place to be, it's my fun, creative play space! 
I had all of the ingredients for my soup in my pantry, I keep everything stocked up at home.  There is one thing that bothers me most when I'm cooking, if I need an ingredient, I don't have it, and I have to stop what I'm doing and run to the store and get it.  Puts a damper on cooking.
I do have to say my soup did turn out fabulous! I served it up with a crusty sourdough bread. The hubby was in love all over again and enjoyed every last spoonful of my tasty winter meal.
Recipe Below.

A few simple ingredients for a wonderful hearty soup.
I dusted my beef with a little flour to thicken the soup a bit.
Brown the meat in olive oil.
Looking good.
Beef broth in along with my veggies.
Thyme, bay leaf, salt and pepper gives a special flavor to my soup.
Medium grain barley. 
No pre-cook on the barley, just drop it in the soup and let it cook in there.
And there it is, the tastiest bowl of winter soup I have had in a long time.  It's filling, warms you and the belly and is also good for you, what more could you ask for.  ENJOY!

Hearty Beef Barley Soup
Ingredients
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 lbs beef cubes, cut into small pieces
1/3 cup flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder
2 32 oz. containers beef broth, can also use stock, I use low salt
2 large carrots, diced
2 large stalks celery, diced
1/2 large onion, diced
1 small can sliced mushrooms, drained, can use fresh if you like
3 large cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons thyme
3 large bay leaves
2/3 cup barley

Instructions
Heat oil over medium high heat in a large Dutch oven.  In a resealable bag add the beef, flour, salt, pepper and garlic powder.  Shake the bag until all the meat is coated.  Add meat to the heated oil in the Dutch oven.  Brown the meat until all sides are seared.  Add the beef broth, carrots, celery, onion, mushrooms, garlic, thyme and bay leaves.  Cover and simmer on medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 45 minutes. Stir in the barley and cook for another 30 minutes until the barley is tender.  Serve with a crusty bread. 

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment