Thursday, March 5, 2015

The Quick Fixer Upper

So, I am now on to my next project, painting my boy's bathroom.  Uggghh! they drive me crazy!  They're a mess and so is this bathroom.  They are grown, 23 and 25 years old, were taught how to clean, cook and do laundry at a young age, do ya think they would clean this bathroom?!  I don't even go in there.  I get agitated enough maybe once or twice a year and check it out, put on my HAZMAT suit, and because I am so disgusted by it, I will breakdown and clean it.  I hold out as long as I can because I THINK they will get tired of the dirt and clean it! Silly me.  These "mammoni's" better get their acts together! After this bath is done they're getting read the RIOT act, trust me.

There is some mold in this bathroom, so I did some research to figure out how to combat it.  Peroxide is one way.  I would put it in a spray bottle, spray where there was mold and then wipe it with a clean cloth.  To fix the problem in this bathroom so it does not happen again, I found a weapon in can - Zinsser Mold Killing Primer.  Roll it on the walls just like paint and BOOM baby it's all gone, and it seals the walls.  My second little weapon is FROG tape.  Better than painter's tape, it doesn't stick when you go to peel it off, leaving clean lines.
So my first course of action was to sand the walls, you can see some mold there in the corner.
Then I patched any imperfections on the walls.
 Took down all the vents, and started taping around the room.  This part of the bath is where the tub and toilet are.  
 Everything is taped, patched and ready to prime.
This handy little roller keeps the paint from splattering all over the place.  I always use it for painting the ceiling with an attached extension pole, makes the job go easier and faster.
 I took off the towel rack and toilet paper holder and the first coat is almost done.
Top of the tub and ceiling, first coat on.  Let it dry for 2 1/2 hours in between the first and second coat.  Just enough time to take a break have some lunch!
 Two coats later, let it dry overnight and you're ready to begin painting.
This was a small area to paint, but I'm tired, I am taking a shower and going to rest!
 This is the other part of the bath that will also be painted, it's galley style with a double sink, lots of cabinet and drawer storage underneath, a linen closet and doors to both of their rooms on either side. Stay tuned for the finished bath redo in the next few days!




2 comments:

  1. Hi there! I live in an older rental that is prone to mold in several rooms. I am interested in how this primer has worked since you used it last year....any recurrence of mold? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there! I live in an older rental that is prone to mold in several rooms. I am interested in how this primer has worked since you used it last year....any recurrence of mold? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete