Friday, March 27, 2015

Be My Guest!

Come on in and be our guest!  The room is finally done, it only took me about 4 days to finish it.  I ran into a few problems that still need to be addressed, one is a lamp and the other is the draperies.  The draperies are 96 inches long and I needed 108 inches.  So what I am going to do is sew a coordinating fabric to the bottom of each panel, because I fell in love with them and don't want to give them up.  My lamp I think is too small, I need a little more drama on the table. These problems will be fixed next week as we have guests staying with us for the next four days, so I can't do it while they are here.  Whew, I got the room done, just in time!

I made this little chalkboard sign from an old vanity mirror I found at the thrift store.  It had a gold frame, so I painted it silver.  I reversed a removable hook on the other side of the door to attach the sign with some cute ribbon.
I recycled some artwork, that my daughter didn't want in her newly painted room, for the wall above the bed.  The grate I had so I just painted it black.  The star was hanging in the room before, so I reused that too.  New bedding from IKEA along with the floral pillow, the other two pillows are from Target.  The gray  "SMILE" pillow was $16.99 and the dark teal flower one was on clearance for $7.98, had to scoop that one up.  The white matelasse shams and blanket I already  had, so I reused them in this room.  The luggage rack at the bottom of the bed is old.  It was brown, I painted that black too, the cotton webbing on it is black and white.
This is the lamp that was in the room.  I used one of my favorite sample colors from Valspar to paint it white.  Lowe's sells these in a variety of colors for $2.98.  I scoop them up when I see them to use for craft projects instead of buying a quart of paint that I don't need.  
 This is the newly painted lamp with a shade from IKEA.  Although it's cute I think It's too small.
The black metal frame bed was from IKEA a few years back.
 I also found this trio of canvas artwork at IKEA.
Door leading to the full bath on the first floor....
And the entry door too the room.  I picked up the keyhole medallion at JoAnn Fabric for $7.99 they had a few different kind, and the typewriter picture for $3.49 on clearance at Ross, the quote on it reads "A moment lasts all of a second, but the memory lives on forever".
 Hobnail floral vase at Marshall's for $6.99, Paris boxes were recycled, as was the rooster lamp, silver tray and metal scrolled tissue box.
Have to make the guest(s) comfortable while they are here, so I stock up on toiletries they may need as well as soft fluffy towels.  I hung this ornate, wrought iron towel rack in the room, so they have fresh towels, hand towels and washcloths, at their fingertips at all times, extras are in the basket.
Here are those curtains that I am not happy with, but I will fix them, because like I said I fell in love with them!  They are a soft yellow and light gray with a white background.
Glass canisters at TJMaxx $7.99 for a set of three.  I had the shells and sea glass stones.
The gray and white rug at IKEA for $19.99.  So the complete redo cost about $240 dollars with the draperies, of course, being the most expensive at $59.98 for both pair.





















0 comments:

Post a Comment