Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Happy Easter Dinner

For as long as I can remember my mother always had a baked ham for Easter dinner.  Through all the years growing up, she never changed her menu.  My mother served a buffet throughout the day of baked ham sandwiches on fresh kaiser rolls, homemade potato salad, coleslaw, macaroni salad, pickled eggs with beets, pickles and olives and a list of desserts.  Sometimes she would make her own candy Easter eggs too, they were a wonderful treat.  I still make a baked ham today, the way she always did when we were growing up, but since I have the picky eaters in my house I make mine a hot meal with mashed potatoes, roasted green beans and pineapple stuffing.  Now my family looks forward to this meal every Easter and I carry on her tradition of serving baked ham.

I went the easy way now that the grocery stores sell spiral sliced ham.  They didn't have these back in the day.  I added sliced pineapple and the juice from the can to sweeten up the packet of sauce they give you to bake the ham in.  It turned out delicious and I could not stop picking at it when it came out of the oven!
I then made the pineapple stuffing, the recipe is below.  Poured it into a baking dish and it's almost done!
OMG! it's like a dessert, so good along with baked ham.
 My other side dish was roasted green beans with almonds and cranberries, what can I say - they were delightful!
 And for dessert, my mile high cheesecake to finish the meal off, this is THE best cheesecake I have ever made, it was perfect!
To print this recipe, click on it, highlight it and print.

PINEAPPLE STUFFING

Ingredients
Cream Together:
1 stick of butter, softened
1 cup of sugar
Beat In:
4 eggs
Stir In:
1 - 15 1/2 oz. can crushed pineapple, drained (get as much juice out of the pineapple as you can)
Fold In:
6 -7 slices white bread, cubed

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Spray an 8 x 8 baking dish with cooking spray.  Pour the stuffing into the dish and bake for 45 minutes or until the stuffing is set and browned on top.  Serve immediately while it's hot.

NOTE:  Recipe can be doubled, just use a 9 x 13 inch baking dish.



0 comments:

Post a Comment