Friday, April 24, 2015

Out In The Garden

Sorry I haven't been writing lately, I have a huge task on my hands, spreading 8 yards of Super Soil in all the garden areas around the house.  It's been rough on the hubby and I for the last 2 weekends, from sun up to sun down, weeding, planting and spreading dirt and mulch.  But, it's almost done, just have to do the back gardens around the sea grasses, and then I will be on the deck setting up for the season.  I can't wait, that is my sanctuary, my staycation (I still have 2 in college so vacations are out of the question!) I like to relax on the deck with a glass of wine (and snacks of course!) listen to the birds and watch the sunset.

I have my flower pots planted and waiting for them to bloom, and I started some veggies - kale, spinach, beets, tomatoes (5 different kind), cucumbers, lettuce, peppers (3 different kind) eggplant, green beans, yellow beans, purple beans (yes they are), onions, strawberries, fennel (love it!), Italian parsley, oregano, rosemary, basil, sage, thyme, mint, lemon grass and catnip for the kitties, they love fresh catnip so I plant it every year for them.

Here is the monstrosity of a dirt pile, it doesn't look like much, but the pile is dense and never ending!
Before and after of a small flower bed.  I plant basil in here too, because I love the fragrance of it when you walk by.
This is before the new soil was spread.
 
New soil spread and weeds cleared.  Now the grass has to be cut.
Left: Before the new soil 
Right: After all weeds are cleared and soil is spread.
These shots are before the new soil.  I have a long row of peonies growing in this garden and they are just starting to pop up.  A small bunch of Lamb's Ear grows in here too.  Every year I pull it out and it always comes back!
A little bit of eye catching wrought iron artwork, and a ceramic Eldreths Pottery bird house hangs in the center for the birds, they nest here every year.
Before and after of the front garden. 
I planted a mix of ranunculus, jumping jacks (viola), alyssum, lobelia and a new white hydrangea in the corner.
Before and after of the other side of the garden.  Rhododendrons, azaleas, lilacs, hydrangeas, hostas and crepe myrtles grow on this side.
Fresh and cleaned up, a small bird bath in the center, the cats love watching the birds as much as I do!
Before and after.  This goes all the way around to the back side of the house.
Fresh soil and mulch, looks great.
A couple of big field stone rocks to dress it up, and around the back, pavers to hold in the new soil so it doesn't wash away.
Lilacs are blooming.
On to the mailbox area.  This area is tough, it's right on the driveway.  Even though I have paving stones, everybody drives over it and ruins everything I ever plant.  This year I moved everything back, I planted bleeding hearts and coral bells in the front and 2 different colors of clematis in the back, that grow up and around the mailbox.  Hopefully everyone will be careful and not run over it anymore!
Sundial for eye appeal in the daylily garden.
This is the daylily garden coming down the driveway.  It's a big circle of Rose of Sharon trees, rhododendrons, a new oak tree and a huge variety of daylilies.
We got crackin' on the weeds, dug up the rocks that use to border it, they all sunk, because you know, everyone is driving over them!
After spreading all new soil and mulch in here, I re-set the rocks and added some new bigger ones, hopefully people will be more careful.
This is the garden around the shed.  Every year I plant and every year the groundhog, deer, you name it animal, eats everything I plant.  So last year I planted daylilies and knockout roses, so far so good.  I planted small sunflowers in the basket for the birds.  I love the moss that grows on the concrete blocks, so I leave it there.
This stuff here is my new best friend, Critter Ridder.  It does not hurt any animals, it just deters them from areas where you don't want them and from eating all your plants.  I do not spray it on my flowers and plants, I spray the border wherever I plant.  It lasts up to 30 days after you spray, but please be careful and do not spray on a windy day, I found out the hard way!  If it blows or you inhale it, it will burn your eyes, throat and lungs, it's like pepper spray and is to be used outside only.  PLEASE read directions carefully!  Groundhogs live under my deck and shed, so this planting area is like a salad bar for them.  They do not like the smell or taste of Critter Ridder so they won't come back.  It has worked for me, groundhogs were digging holes right at my foundation,I sprayed this around the whole area and they are gone!















































0 comments:

Post a Comment