Sunday, March 15, 2015

It's Melts Like Butta - Butter Lettuce

I discovered butter lettuce a long time ago and I have to say I'm a fan.  It's also known as Boston, Bibb, Tom Thumb and Buttercrunch lettuce, and when it hits your mouth it literally melts like butter.  It's not course or bitter like some lettuces, but has a rather mild taste and smooth texture. I bought this big pack of Butter Lettuce at Costco, we go through a lot of lettuce in this family and I wanted to switch it up a bit.  These big heads came three to a pack, is hydroponically grown (in water not soil) in a greenhouse, and one head fed three people.  The grocery stores have great selections, you have to spend some time in the aisles to find and try new things.  Be not afraid, step out of your usual box, there is a whole world of goodness out there to try!

I used my lettuce to make a simple salad of lettuce, meaty Roma tomatoes and fresh mozzarella.  I then dressed it with kosher salt, pepper, balsamic vinegar and extra virgin olive oil. Easy to make and it's good!



0 comments:

Post a Comment