Monday, February 15, 2016

Lovin' The Pasta with Beans

We have been doing a lot of vegan cooking in the kitchen so far this year, I'm liking it.  It's easy, trying different food combo's is fun, and it doesn't hurt the body to eat a little more healthy.  Now I must confess, I am not eating everything totally vegan, but the majority of  my meals and desserts are, since I have a full-on vegan living here, and he is very strict with his food.  I think his way of eating is a little over the top, but he's young, not old like me.  When you're older got to watch them bones!

 There is a lot of truth to the vegan way, he has lost a tremendous amount of weight, which I could stand to loose.  But, after all these years of eating a certain way, it's hard to give up things you like (real Pecorino-Romano cheese for one! love that stuff).  So I try everyday to cut the bad things out, and use vegan ingredients/substitutes instead, to make the dishes I like.

On the menu for Sunday night's dinner, pasta and beans, good healthy stuff.  Instead of meatballs, I used beans, and although I am not a fan of whole wheat pasta, my son had that, I made my favorite pasta,  linguine (it was protein linguine), and it was fabulous!

Recipe below.
To print recipe, click, highlight and print.
To view photos in a larger format, click on them.

A few of my ingredients.
 Getting the sauce going in the pan.....
 I love using fresh herbs.....
 Everything is combined and simmering in the pan.
 Towards the end of cooking, add the spinach and the beans, easy!
 And what you have here is a delicious, heart healthy meal, enjoy!
 I HAD to have the cheese....what's pasta without cheese?
 Pasta and Beans
Ingredients
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
5 cloves garlic, minced
28 oz can of crushed tomatoes
15 oz can of diced tomatoes, drained
1/4 cup tomato paste
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper, more if you like heat
3/4 cup red wine
2 bay leaves
8 basil leaves, sliced chiffonade style
3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
15 oz can Cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
2 cups fresh spinach, stems removed
1 pound linguine or other pasta

Directions
In a large pan over medium high heat, heat the olive oil.  Saute the minced garlic until fragrant, but do not brown it.  Add the crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, crushed red pepper, red wine, bay leaves, basil and parsley.  Reduce heat to medium, cover and let cook for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. The sauce will thicken, if it's too thick add a little bit water.

One half hour before serving, add the spinach and the beans and let cook until spinach is wilted. Start a pot of salted water for the pasta. Remove the bay leaves from the sauce before serving.  Top pasta and sauce with grated cheese, serve with crusty Italian bread. Makes 4 servings.

NOTE: If you do not like chunky tomatoes in your sauce, use an immersion blender, after adding them to the pan, to chop them up a little, or put the tomatoes in a blender before adding to the sauce. Using the immersion blender also makes the sauce smoother, creamier and gives it a silky texture.









0 comments:

Post a Comment