Monday, July 11, 2016

The Summer Peach

There is no better fruit, to me at least, than a fresh summer peach.  Juicy and packed full of that peachy goodness I know and love.  I bought a box of fresh peaches on my trip to Trader Joe's this week, and let me tell you, they are so juicy that you need a handful of napkins when you eat them, or the juice will run down your arm and all over your clothes!

I have a lot of recipes using peaches, pies, jams, etc., but again it's just the two of us, so I made a small fresh peach and fresh blueberry crisp with some of my peaches.  It smelled so amazing baking, I couldn't wait to eat it!  It was not too sweet for those minding their sugar intake.  Topping it with a small scoop of vegan ice cream, makes this dessert totally vegan, or top it with a scoop of regular vanilla bean ice cream.
Recipe below.
To print recipe, click on it, highlight and print.
To view photos in a larger format, click on them.

  This peach and blueberry crisp was served after a vegan meal I made for dinner,
 Vegan Bolognese Sauce with Pasta (recipe on this blog 1/6/16), check it out.

I used 3 fresh peaches and 1 cup of fresh blueberries and started layering them in a small casserole dish.  
I made two layers with the fruit.
Now the crunchy part - Oatmeal, brown sugar, a pinch of salt and vegan butter.
Spread the topping over the fruit, cover to the edges and bake.  Easy and simple, that's how I like it!
    
In 40 minutes, this fabulous dessert! Sweet peaches and puffed up blueberries that burst in your mouth!
Peach and Blueberry Crisp

Ingredients
3 fresh peaches
1 cup fresh blueberries
3/4 cup old fashioned oatmeal, uncooked
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
pinch of salt
3 tablespoons Earth Balance Vegan Butter, cut into cubes

Directions
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Spray a small casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray.  Cut peaches in half and remove the stone.  Leave the skin on if you like or peel them.  Slice each half into 5-6 slices. Layer the slices on the bottom of the casserole dish, and sprinkle on 1/2 of the blueberries.  Make another layer of peaches and the other half of the blueberries.

In a medium bowl, combine the oatmeal, brown sugar, salt and vegan butter.  Break up the butter with a fork mixing it into the oatmeal and brown sugar until its crumbly.  Spread the top of the fruit with mixture and cover to the edges of the dish.  Bake for 35 - 40 minutes (remember all oven temps are different).  Makes 4 servings.










0 comments:

Post a Comment