Monday, August 24, 2015

Taking Care Of The Old

I am a firm believer of  "if you take care of your things, you'll have them forever".  This patio set below, I am prepping to paint.  I bought the set about 20 years ago for my youngest daughters 1st birthday party, because we needed more seating.  It wasn't cheap, I spent $399 for the table, 6 chairs and the umbrella, twenty years ago that was a lot of money.  So you can see why even after 20 years I still have it.   The set is made of steel, it is very sturdy, but the paint is worn and it's getting rust in some spots.  I am going to save it by painting the whole set.  I power washed the set to get all the dirt and moss off, let it dry in the sun, lightly sanded it, then I painted it with Rustoleum paint.  I should get another 20 years out of it, I hope!

This is the table, it's big and heavy.  The set was a faded tan/beige color and was rusty in spots as you can see. 
I had one of my sons take the table apart, there are rust spots between the glass and frame..
Taped and papered the top and the underside of the table, so paint doesn't get all over the glass.
 The four stationary chairs aren't too bad looking.  I  used my power washer to get all the dirt and moss off of them.
 The two "rocking chairs" are a bit rusty.
The chairs came up pretty good after washing them.
 This is my paint, a bronze - brown metallic paint, I wanted to jazz -up the set a little bit, I found it at Home Depot.
The stationary chairs are all done and looking good! It's amazing what a can of paint can do.  I always say, "spray paint is your friend".
 Ready to be paired back up with the table once I get that painted.  It also matches the new patio set that I purchased this year.
These are the 2 "rocking" chairs" that are now done.  The seats on all the chairs have vinyl strapping on them, the paint covered it pretty well.  They did have some age spots on them, but you won't see the spots when the cushions are on the chairs.
Clean smooth paint job.  I used a trigger nozzle on my paint cans, so no dripping occurs while I am painting.  I always get a clean smooth paint surface when I use them.  
I had to think quick when I started this job, that white valve (pictured) on my can of paint, did not fit in my handy dandy trigger nozzle, all I did was take a valve from an old can of paint (the red valve), problem solved.  This red trigger nozzle from Krylon is my favorite one to use, no drips.
 This is another trigger nozzle that I use, but I like the red one better.  
 Top side and underside are now done.  
My son put the legs back on the table and the set is finished!  Doesn't look too shabby, if I say so myself!
 It compliments the other patio set and furniture nicely, and more seating for parties!  So, don't throw out old worn out things, re-use them by painting them and they will last even longer.  Consider it money in your pocket, that's were money belongs.  Total cost for the makeover - $70 for paint and a little bit of my time.  Beats buying another new set!














0 comments:

Post a Comment