Friday, July 3, 2015

These Hens Rule The Roost

I cook dinner just about every night, it gets a little challenging sometimes, trying to figure out what to make.  Chicken, beef and pasta are the forerunners in this house, and only occasionally pork.  I know you will all say, you can do a lot with chicken and pasta.  But after cooking for 28 years, it is still a bit difficult finding things that are new, and that my family will like.

While at the market I picked up these two Cornish hens.  Sometimes I will make these during the winter, or for holidays, I roast them in the oven.  But this time, I tried something new with them, I put them on the grill and they were a hit, my family even had seconds!  Recipe below.  
To print recipe, click on it, highlight it and print.

These are my hens.
I washed them and removed all the parts we don't eat.  I placed them breast side down on a cutting board and with a sharp knife, removed the backbones of the hens, be careful!  This helps them to cook faster on the grill.  I sprinkled Chinese Five Spice Powder (see note) on them.......
 And then marinated in a resealable bag with teriyaki sauce for 2 hours.
Heat up the grill, and place them on breast side down.  Cook for about 30 minutes, and flip them over. Looking good!
Then I poured orange marmalade into a  bowl and heated it in the microwave for 30 seconds.
 
Let the hens cook for another 30 minutes on the back side.  Slather some of the marmalade on the hens, then flip them over and baste the other side.  Let them grill for about another 10 minutes on each side.  The skin will get crispy and browned.
 
 Keep an eye on them, if they start to burn just flip them over.  These are just  perfect.
 I love Summer cooking, I put EVERYTHING on the grill.  It keeps the house cool and barely any messes.
 My hens are done, extra crispy, because that's the way I like it, uh huh, uh huh!
 I served my hens with sesame garlic green beans and vegetable fried rice.  Nothing fancy, but the flavor is all there.
 Sweet and Spicy Cornish Hens

Ingredients
2 Cornish Hens
1 teaspoon of Chinese Five Spice Powder
1/3 cup Teriyaki sauce
1/2 cup orange marmalade

Directions
Remove the neck and gizzards from the hens, usually found in the cavity, and discard.  Wash the hens under cold running water and pat dry with paper towels.  Flip them breast side down, with a sharp knife, cut along the backbones of the hens on both sides.  Remove the bones and discard.  This opens up the hens for faster cooking. Sprinkle both sides of the hens with the five spice powder.  Put them in a resealable plastic bag and pour in the teriyaki sauce.  Seal the bag, massage it and refrigerate for 2 hours, turning once.  

Preheat the grill.  Remove hens from the bag and discard the marinade.  Place the hens breast side down, close the lid.  Let them cook for 30 minutes, then flip them over and cook for another 30 minutes. Keep an eye on them so they don't burn.  Pop the marmalade in the microwave for 30 seconds to loosen it up.

Baste the hens with the marmalade, then flip them over.  Cook on each side for 10 minutes, keeping an eye on them so they don't burn. If they do start to burn, just flip them over.  All hen weights are not the same. As always, they are done when the juices run clear. Serves 4.

NOTE:  Chinese Five Spice Powder is a ground mix of - cinnamon, anise, fennel, ginger, clove and licorice root.  It's very aromatic and adds dramatic sweet/spicy flavor.




0 comments:

Post a Comment