Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Winner Chicken - Cheesy Herbed Chicken Breasts

As I've said before, we eat a lot of chicken in this house.  There are so many ways to make chicken as opposed to beef.  I took two large chicken breasts out for dinner last night, I didn't know if my oldest son was going to eat, and my younger son is vegan so I knew he wouldn't eat it.  If I had any leftovers the hubby would take them for lunch the next day, no worries about wasting food there.

My mind was going full speed ahead, what to make with these chicken breasts?  Opened the pantry, nothing in there, opened the fridge, hummm cheese!, that's always good.  Opened up my spice drawer and right on top were Herbes de Provence, love those!  So here you have my concoction of Cheesy Herbed Chicken Breasts.
They were tasty, juicy and the house smelled amazing while they were cooking, on top of the stove by the way.  Nothing fancy to prepare, no fancy way of cooking them, easy peasy

I buy the big bags of grated cheese at BJ's (we use alot of cheese) and the Herbes de Provence, I got a big jar of these at Home Goods, but any grocery store usually has them. I always have an opened jar and a backup jar (use alot of this too).  Herbes de Provence are a mix of garlic, fennel, thyme, rosemary, oregano, basil, marjoram, lavender, parsley, sea salt and lemon peel. Now you can see why the house smells so good while they are cooking!
 I rinse and pat my chicken dry.  Heat 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil over medium high heat.  Sprinkle each chicken breast with a teaspoon of Herbes de Provence and 1 tablespoon of grated Parmesan cheese. Place chicken in the pan seasoned side up.  Cover and cook for about 8 minutes, reduce heat to medium, flip the chicken over and cook for another 8 minutes. Now, depending on the size of the chicken breasts cooking time will differ.  Chicken is done when the juices run clear. 
 Nicely browned and ready to be.....
 ......plated and served
 I made oven fried russet potatoes with my chicken, my son ate just about the whole plate before I even sat down.  He is a very fussy eater even as an adult, and asked me how I made them "they were so good".  Wash and cut 3 russet potatoes, drizzle about 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil onto a baking sheet.  Throw the potatoes on, toss potatoes with garlic powder, salt and pepper, roast in the oven at 375 degrees for 25 - 30 minutes.  In the last 5 minutes, under the broiler to crisp them even more, watch them so they do not burn.
 And, I made an Asian salad as a side dish - Napa cabbage, cilantro, carrots, cucumbers, mandarin oranges, crispy noodles, black and white sesame seeds with a ginger and soy dressing.
 I got the portion control plate, because there was nothing left by the time I got to the table! Good thing I made the salad.  Oh well, as least they enjoyed it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment