Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Keep Calm And Jingle On!

So the Christmas craziness has begun in this house, I had the men carry up loads and loads of decorations from storage in the basement.  I love this time of year, and decorating for Christmas, BUT what I don't like is deciding what I am using and where I am going to put it.  I started early this year, as I have a lot to do, every room on the first floor gets decorated. 

And as always, I buy new things every year to add to the mounds of decorations I already have.  Why? I don't know, I don't need anything else, but can never pass up a sale.  What's funny is, I found 3 big bags of decorations from BBB that I bought last year in January on clearance for 75% off, and had another 20% off coupon for each item, I couldn't  pass that up.  So you see the pattern I live by right, get it while it's on sale, why pay full price, then you have to remember that you bought it and stored it away (this getting older thing is not for me).

So this year I started in the living room, a space we barely use. I decided to just put a few things out.  It's really hard to decide what stays and what goes back in the storage container, gotta stay focused.  One thing new I bought this year, a small champagne and silver colored tree that is pre-lit, then added just a few things to it. I tucked it in the corner of the room, in front of a mirror, so it shines extra bright.
 A couple of glittered bird houses, a glittered newspaper print ball garland and vintage silver bead garland.
 A bird and some small blue snowflake balls, this little tree didn't need much.
Next up was the mantel in the family room. I changed it 3 times!  I am now somewhat satisfied with it, but I am not spending any more time on it.   In two days of working I only got one tree and a mantel done, and that my friends is crazy!   Do you see WHY I have to start so early to get this done.  Christmas would be over if I did it in early December by the time I got all of this out and decorated.

  I decided I want to pace myself this year, get started early with the decorating.  I have a lot on my plate with my Annual Christmas Cookie Baking Party coming up, stay tuned for that. The Baking Babes and I will be in the kitchen all day and night baking over 2500 cookies.  That's another part of my holiday craziness, but I love it!

This is some of the haul of clearance items from last year.  Two 6 foot long, shatterproof ball garlands, originally $24.99 got them for $5.00 each.
 I use Command hooks for e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g,  love them because you can remove them and leave no trace of what was hung.  I used them here to hang the garland on the mantel, don't want to ruin any paint!
 The bare mantel, ready to be gussied up!
 Fluffed up the garland. This garland is a mix of different kinds of greens and pine cones, it's nice and heavy, thick and lush.
 Added white lights to it.
 Then the colored ball garlands.
 I used these pre-lit trees on the front step last year, this year they're on the mantel to give the space some height.
So far I've used -  2 pine garlands, 2 ball garlands, 1 strand of 100 white lights and 2 pre-lit trees in urns.
 Now the kookiness begins,  HAHAHA.  If you notice the clock in the picture above, you see how much time I spent on this by the time you get to the last picture.  The Jolly Old St. Nick I've had for years as well as the reindeer.
 I added pre-lit, champagne colored glitter stick trees.  These were also on clearance.  Were originally $19.99 each, got them for $3.99 each.
 I didn't like them, so I replaced with these silver foil trees and silver sequined reindeer. Oh, and added the silver bows to the tops of the trees.  I wasn't satisfied with that look (I am my own worst enemy!) So....
 I took out the silver trees and added these plaid fabric trees that I had.  Notice that clock?
 I still wasn't happy with the look, so I took the silver bows off the trees, added red plaid flannel bows to match the smaller fabric trees, took out the silver reindeer, and put the paper mache reindeer in their place.  Then I added five large sprigs of greens to the top of the garlands and another 50 white lights to brighten it all up.
 I still have red beads to add to the trees to jazz them up a bit, but for the most part the mantel is done.  So from about 12:00 noon to 5:30 PM is how long I worked on this mantel.  Now you see why I have to start so early in the season!  It takes me forever because I get caught up in the minutiae.  I invite you to keep up with the blog this holiday season to check out how I'm keeping myself busy.  HAPPY DECORATING!





0 comments:

Post a Comment