Thursday, November 19, 2015

MMMM.....Pound Cake!

Pound cake is a comfort food for me, it's rich, buttery and moist.  What other three things do you need in any cake, I mean you could add frosting, that ALWAYS makes a cake better, but pound cake alone is great.  To me pound cake is an all day food, you can eat it for breakfast and as a dessert after lunch and dinner.  It's great by itself with a cup a joe or tea, toasted all alone, or with a scoop of ice cream and chocolate sauce, caramel sauce or both, or raspberry sauce and whipped cream. I could go on and on, but I won't, you get the picture.  I would eat it all , I am telling you I love it that much!  

OK, so I am back in the kitchen after decorating the house for Christmas, more on that later. I got bored yesterday and made a batch of my favorite chocolate chip cookies (check out the recipe from July 31, 2013 blog) and this pound cake.  The whole house smelled wonderful as all this was baking, chocolaty from the cookies and then lemony from the cake.  The hubby will be pleased, he gets his sweet after dinner and can dress it up however he likes.  Oh, the little things in life that make us happy!
Recipe below.
To print recipe, click on it, highlight and print.
To view photos in a larger format, click on them.

Simple fresh ingredients is all it takes to make a delicious, rich, buttery and moist pound cake
 My old standby - Baker's Joy for spraying and flouring the baking pan.
 Cream the butter.....
 Add the sugar.....
 Add the eggs, one at a time.....
 Flour and salt....
 Vanilla, lemon zest and a little milk.....
 Mixing is complete and ready to go in the pan.  This took all of  less than 8 minutes to mix.
 Spread it out into the prepared loaf pan and smooth out the top.
 Bake for 1 1/2 hours (90 minutes) or a cake tester when inserted comes out clean.
 Easily removed from the loaf pan (it's the Baker's Joy, good stuff!), cooling on  a wire rack and perfectly golden brown.
 So now it's cooled and I get to taste it, yippee!  Rich, buttery and moist, just like I said.  I dusted it with some powdered sugar, hmmm let's see, what will I have with it tonight?
I think I'll have it plain with a cup of tea!
Rich and Moist Pound Cake

Ingredients  - All Ingredients should be at room temperature
1 cup butter
1 3/4 cup sugar
5 large eggs
2 cups all purpose unbleached white flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
zest of 1 lemon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
1 tablespoon milk

Directions
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.  Grease and flour your loaf pan (or use Baker's Joy).

In a large bowl of a mixer, on medium speed, cream the butter until it is softened, slowly add the sugar, beat until fluffy and pale yellow in color. Add eggs, one at a time, and beat after each.  Whisk together the flour and salt in a small bowl, then add to the mixture and beat until combined.  Add the lemon zest, vanilla, vanilla bean paste (see note) and the milk, mix until all is combined.

Pour into the prepared loaf pan and bake for 90 minutes, or a cake tester when inserted comes out clean. Remove from oven, let sit for about 3 -5 minutes, before inverting onto a wire cooling rack.  Cool completely.  Slice and serve plain or with your favorite toppings. 

NOTE:  If you do not have vanilla bean paste, use 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract. So 1 1/2 teaspoons of vanilla total.

0 comments:

Post a Comment