Thursday, May 5, 2016

I'm Salsa Dancing!

Trying out some new recipes for when Summer's bounty of fresh grown veggies are in abundance.  To me, fresh is always better, but when you don't have fresh, frozen it is.  I did find some fresh corn on the cob in the market this past week and used it as a side dish for a meal.  I cooked all the ears, but had 4 left over.  I didn't want to waste them, so I made some Fresh Tomato Corn Salsa. I had everything else I needed to make it, so my corn was put to good use.  This salsa was dancin' in my mouth, with a tangy lime flavor of some added lime zest and a little bit of jalapeno pepper, what can I say, it just made me want to celebrate......

FELIZ Cinco De Mayo!

Recipe below.
To print recipe, click on it, highlight and print.
To view photos in a larger format, click on them.

I started with a few ingredients, that's all it took for this awesome fresh salsa.
 Cored my plum tomatoes. I use plum tomatoes because they are meatier.
 Cut tomatoes in half lengthwise, and an easy way to scoop the seeds out, use a spoon.
Tomatoes are ready to be chopped.
I used fresh corn, but you can certainly use frozen.  I ran a sharp knife down the side of the cob to cut off the kernels, be careful with the knife!
 I tossed everything in a mixing bowl, zested one of the limes, squeezed on the lime juice from the two limes, tossed it all together, and look how pretty these colors are!  That's a party in a bowl right there.
 Serve with your favorite tortilla chips! Yum.........
 Fresh Tomato Corn Salsa
Ingredients
5 plum tomatoes, seeded and diced
4 ears corn, cut corn off the cob, or use 2 cups of thawed frozen corn
1/2 orange bell pepper, seeded and diced
1/2 red onion, small dice
1 jalapeno pepper, small dice
1 small can sliced black olives
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
2 limes, zest from one of the limes
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper

Directions
Prepare all vegetables and add to a large mixing bowl. Add the black olives, cilantro, lime zest, juice from both limes, salt and pepper.  Toss everything together, serve with your favorite chips.  Refrigerate any leftovers. Makes about 4 cups.








0 comments:

Post a Comment