Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Vegan Stir Fried Rice

What is going on with this weather here in the East!  I am so tired of this rain, dreariness, no sun is no good.  I want to be outside, working in the garden, planting flowers, so my work will be done for the season.  I don't mean to complain, but really Mother Nature cut me a break.

OK,I am done my rant now, onto better things.  The hubby and I are trying to be good about eating. We are slowly easing into trying vegan fare and such. You can make practically anything vegan that's not, just by incorporating different foods and ingredients.  The eyes are tricky, but if you didn't know the cauliflower in this dish wasn't rice, you would not miss rice at all. Check it out.
Recipe below.
To print recipe click on it, highlight and print.

I use this riced cauliflower from Trader Joe's, instead of making the whole mess of breaking apart a head of cauliflower and putting it through a food processor.  Too messy for me, so I go the easy route, cut the bag open and pour! Unfortunately, this is the only picture I got to take of this recipe because my family dug into this dish before I had a chance to take any, yeah it was that good!
Veggie Stir Fried Rice

To Fry the Cauliflower
2 tablespoons vegan butter or use 1 tablespoon canola oil
3/4 cup vegetable stock or broth (stock has more flavor)
1 bag frozen riced cauliflower (I used Trader Joe's)

To Stir Fry The Vegetables
2 tablespoons canola oil or peanut oil if you like that flavor
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 sweet onion, diced
1 bunch asparagus, cut in 1" pieces (see note)
2 cups sliced baby bella mushrooms
2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger (or 1/2 teaspoon ground)
3 cloves minced garlic
3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon sesame oil
2 green onions (scallions) sliced thin
1 tablespoon sesame seeds (toast them if you like)

Directions
To Fry Cauliflower:
Melt butter in a large skillet or wok, over medium high heat. Add cauliflower and stir fry until lightly browned.  Add the vegetable stock/broth and continue to cook until the cauliflower is tender, about 10 minutes.  Transfer to a bowl, set aside.

To Stir Fry The Vegetables
Heat the canola oil in the same pan, over medium high heat. Make sure pan is hot, add red pepper, onion, asparagus, mushrooms, ginger and garlic.  Stir fry until tender but crisp not mushy, this only takes a few minutes. Stir in the soy sauce and cook for a few seconds to heat through.  Remove from heat, drizzle on the sesame oil, stir it in. Serve over the cauliflower and top with sliced scallions and sesame seeds. Makes 4 servings.

NOTE: If you don't like asparagus use green beans, pea pods, broccoli, or any other green vegetable that you like, it's all good.

0 comments:

Post a Comment