Tuesday, January 26, 2021

My New Pantry! Now My Favorite Little Room In The House

Our pantry has been a thorn in my side since we built this house 16 years ago.  I wasn't paying too much attention to closet shelving, as I wanted to use the money elsewhere in the house for upgrades.  My husband did surprise me with a closet system in our master closet a year after we moved in, but the other closets in the home still had wire shelving which was fine. Except the pantry, this pantry drove me nuts for 16 years!  You put stuff on the shelves, everything falls over, falls behind, got thrown in there never to been seen again, until I would clean it out 2-3 times a year.  I would find so much expired food because you would never find what was put in there!  I even had to have shelving in the garage for canned goods, because you couldn't ever put them on those wire shelves, they never stood upright. 

 Finally, I got the OK from the hubby to hire a contractor to tear this pantry up and out and get the job done right, YAY! The contractor I hired was fabulous, he  not only listened to everything I asked for, but offered some even better ideas on how to improve the space. So together we came up with more space out of this tiny little room. I couldn't have asked for a better guy for the job he was the best, and I am now in love with my new pantry!

So much wasted space and just 4 wire shelves to hold food for what was originally 5 people living in this house, totally not enough room.  All dirty from years of use too.
Shelves out and a new beginning is about to happen.
Fresh coat of a bright extra white to add more light in the space.
WOW, it looks better already.
This pantry sits under my back stairwell, that is why the wall is slanted.
This was all custom made shelving to fit in this space. It's was made sturdy to hold a lot of bottles, cans and boxes.
So I got two more shelves on the original wall, more space! I had the contractor go down a few inches on the width of the shelving, they are not as wide, so things still don't fall behind them. It also made more room in the space so now it's easier to walk all the way in and turn around.
He even beveled that edge on the slanted wall so it looks finished off. Now there is shelving on that empty space wall too, so even more room in the pantry.
Oh yea, it 's filled up already, everything is in there, even the canned goods from the shelves in the garage. And I can see everything that I have, no more falling over and behind other things.
My added feature that I wanted, to use up all the space on the walls, was to attach a shelving unit to the wall for canned goods, and to do the same feature on the door for packaged goods.  The contractor did suggest a heavier solid wood door, which I did get to hold the unit, because it is solid wood so it is very heavy.  Also, all the shelves are removeable and adjustable for height, like I said he thought of everything.
Filling up nicely!
Everything in and I still have a little space left for anything new.
The contractor's attention detail was amazing, he even made plugs for all the screw holes.
The wall and door unit have ledges so nothing slides off.
I now actually love going into the pantry to get something, it's no longer the black hole it used to be.
  It makes me so happy!






 

0 comments:

Post a Comment