Thursday, May 21, 2015

Keep Calm And Eat A Brownie Ice Cream Sammie!

Ice cream sandwiches are a great summer treat, a little bit of cookie and ice cream, and all it takes is one hand to eat it.  I remember the ice cream truck, that came around our neighborhood when I was growing up, use to sell chocolate chip cookie and waffle ice cream sandwiches, gosh I loved them both.  Today I made brownie ice cream sandwiches for dessert to go with my true picnic dinner of cheeseburgers, hot dogs, pasta salad, baked beans and sauerkraut. This is how I made them.

BROWNIE ICE CREAM SAMMIES
I took the fast way out and used boxed brownie mix.  I always have a huge box of this as a standby if I don't have time for homemade.  I mixed it according to the package directions. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
 I also purchased a muffin top pan, who doesn't just like the muffin top?  I get a triple use out of this pan now making homemade ice cream sandwiches.  I sprayed each cup of the pan with cooking spray, used my clean hands to completely coat the sides and bottom of the cups so the brownies do not stick.
 Added my ingredients and mixed it all up.
 I used a small ice cream scoop, you can also use a small ladle, to drop the batter evenly into the cups.
I took the back of the scoop to smooth the batter out in the cups.
Batter loaded up.....
 and baking in the oven.  I baked them for 13 minutes. Ovens vary so bake accordingly.
 When these came out of the oven, I used a wooden skewer to loosen them around the edges a little bit.  Don't spend too much time doing this, just lightly go around the edges.  Place a cooling rack over the top.....
 flip them over and while holding the pan and the rack together tap it on a hard surface to loosen.  Leave the pan over the top for a few minutes for the steam to help release them and the brownies will pop out of the pan.
Line them up on another cooling rack until cooled.  They kind of look like hamburgers! Don't they?
When they are cooled, transfer to a parchment paper lined baking sheet.  When all are baked cover with plastic wrap and freeze.
 
 Next step when the brownies are done baking, wash the cooled muffin top pan, line with a long piece of plastic wrap, and scoop vanilla and/or chocolate ice cream into each cup, or your favorite flavor.  I think any flavor would be awesome in these.   
 Wrap tightly by pulling the plastic wrap over the top and tucking the sides under.  Use the bottom of a glass and press the ice cream into the cups to flatten to the size of the cup.  It looks a little sloppy but once it's frozen it will be the size of the brownies.
See!  When ready to eat, place a brownie patty on the bottom, ice cream patty in the middle and another brownie patty on top.  Now, I could go on and on about how to serve these, with a million different things to add to them, but I won't, use your imagination there are endless possibilities to change the flavors, go for it!
 IF there are any leftovers, wrap individually in parchment paper, then place in a resealable bag and store in the freezer.  Sit back, kick your feet up and enjoy.  These are so delicious, you're gonna love them!
  Makes 8 sandwiches.

NOTE:  Here is a low-fat idea, use No Pudge Brownie Mix and your favorite frozen yogurt flavor instead of regular brownie mix and ice cream.




0 comments:

Post a Comment