Monday, June 23, 2014

Homemade Croutons

I have two sons who bring me lots of  bread home.  One works in a restaurant, the other in a bakery.  I can't use all of this bread at once, some I put into the freezer for later, some I throw to the birds, they have to eat too!  My friend Mary gave me a great idea for them, and taught me how to make these awesome homemade croutons.  She too, works in a restaurant and deep fries hers. I took the low fat route on making mine by baking them in the oven.  Easy, peasy, this is how I make them - 

Cut bread up into medium size cubes, place on a baking sheet, drizzle with a little olive oil, toss to coat the bread and bake at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes.  Take out of the oven and toss again, return to oven until all the bread is lightly toasted.  Remove from oven and cool completely.
 Now, mix up the flavors in a bowl - garlic powder, Italian seasoning, and Parmesan - Romano cheese, as much as you like, it's all in the taste, combine it with a fork.  When croutons are cooled, pour them into a resealable bag and toss with the cheese mixture.  Remove any air from the bag, the croutons will stay fresh for 2 - 3 weeks.
Awesome homemade croutons!






0 comments:

Post a Comment