Saturday, June 28, 2014

Some Like It Hot! - Spicy Shrimp Fra Diavolo.

We have a great Italian restaurant in our neighborhood that I absolutely love.  When we go there for dinner I never deviate from my favorite meal on the menu, Shrimp Fra Diavolo, it's the best.  I put together the flavors I taste in my favorite restaurant meal, and made my version at home.  So, if some like it hot or not, you can turn the heat up or down! Recipe below.

A few of my ingredients. I am overloaded with fresh basil in my gardens, I love the taste of it, as well as the scent, it's a beautiful herb!  Always use fresh when you can, it does make a difference.
 The sauce is dancing in the pan.  I use frozen, peeled and cleaned, extra jumbo shrimp
Shrimp Fra Diavolo

Ingredients
2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons of crushed red pepper flakes, more if you like a lot of heat, less if you don't
1 - 28 oz. can of crushed tomatoes, any brand, any flavor you like
1 - 14.5 oz. can of diced tomatoes, drained of juice, any brand, any flavor you like
1 teaspoon of Italian seasoning
8 fresh basil leaves, sliced
2 tablespoons of fresh parsley, chopped
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon of sugar
1 bag frozen, cooked, peeled, deveined extra jumbo shrimp, thawed and rinsed
1 lb. box of  linguine, cooked
Grated Parmegiano - Reggiano cheese

Directions
Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan, over medium heat.  Add the minced garlic and the pepper flakes, cook for about 2 minutes.  Add the crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, Italian seasoning, basil, parsley, salt and sugar, stir to combine.  Cook for 40 minutes on medium heat, stirring occasionally.  About 10 minutes before serving, add the shrimp until they are heated through.  Serve over hot linguine with grated cheese on top.








0 comments:

Post a Comment