Wednesday, December 17, 2014

A Few Of My Favorite Things - From Times Gone By

I love Christmas, it's my favorite holiday.  What I love most about it is decorating.  Pulling all my decorations out that have been packed away all year, is like opening gifts on Christmas day for me.  My favorite things from long ago are in those boxes, and bring back memories of people and times gone by.  Having things from my mother and grandmother, always brings back a flash of where that item was in their home.  It's not that I don't think about them all year, because I do, but Christmas memories from childhood are always the best.  Here are few of my favorite Christmas decorations that were theirs and I will cherish them forever.

These trees were my mother's, circa late 1960's  The big tree is an appetizer stand, you stick tooth picks in the little holes on both sides to hold an appetizer, and the smaller trees are salt and pepper shakers.  The china in the back of the trees is mine and I have had it for over 35 years.  The little glittery house was my grandmother's.  There is a big round hole in the back to put lights in it.  She had a table top silver tree and these little houses would sit around the bottom of her tree. She also had a round multi-colored light that was electric, and it turned so the tree would light up in colors. I would have loved to have that tree today, I loved it back then! 
 So, this is the original ELF on the Shelf!  My mother used to hang them from the tree and they would be sitting all over the house.  These demitasse cups and saucers were also hers.  I sit them in my china cabinet every year along with my china.



Posted on by The Bee Skep in | No comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment