Friday, April 1, 2016

I Love Old Family Recipes - Pizzelles

I'm on a roll, cleaning out the house for a yard sale at the end of April.  I have been through every closet, some of them twice, getting rid of things I no longer use, it's time.  Finally I hit the garage to try and organize things out there, that is where all my sale items are being stored.  I was cleaning off a shelf out there and low and behold, I don't ever remember buying a pizzelle iron, but I did. Now the price was $39.99, but I am sure I bought that baby with a coupon!

I don't remember making pizzelles even once, because my sister is the pizzelle queen in our family.  So, I dusted the box off, brought it inside and decided that I would give them a try.  My sister uses my mother's old family recipe, not sure where she got it from, my mother was all Irish not Italian and these are Italian cookies.  But anyway, I gave them a whirl, the house smelled wonderful as they were baking, and if I do say so myself, they were great!
Recipe below.
To print recipe, click on it, highlight and print.
To view photos in a larger format, click on them.

My dear thoughtful sister, had this made for me a few years ago for a Christmas gift, I love it! My mother's recipe was engraved on a cutting board in her own handwriting.  It's a gift I will always cherish and it sits behind a glass cabinet door in my kitchen so it won't get dirty. 
 My mother knew exactly how the mixing was supposed to be done, but the recipe is not written to understand how it is done, so I cleared it up in the recipe below. 
I mixed up a batch of pizzelle dough and....
 Got out my pizzelle....
And away I went, pressing and cooking pizzelles.
 After a few minutes in the press, they look amazing!
 They taste awesome too!  Cool them on a wire rack, as you take them off the press, so they crisp up. You don't want them soft.
 When they are cooled off, stack them up.  Wrap them in foil when they are all completely cooled.
 I have to step away from them now because I keep eating them, I just need to control myself.
 My Mother's Pizzelle's
Ingredients
6 eggs
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup butter, melted and cooled
2 tablespoons vanilla extract
2 tablespoons anise extract, omit if you don't like or use less
3 1/2 cups flour
4 teaspoons baking powder

Directions
Heat your pizzelle iron according to manufacturer's instructions.  In bowl of mixer, beat the 6 eggs.  Add sugar and beat until smooth.  Add the cooled butter, vanilla and anise and mix until combined.  In a medium bowl, combine the flour and baking powder with a whisk.  Add flour mixture to the egg mixture and beat until all is combined.  Drop by rounded teaspoon onto the hot pizzelle iron, press and cook until lightly browned. Gently remove from iron with a fork and place on a cooling rack.  When completely cooled stack them and wrap in foil. Makes about 5 dozen.



















0 comments:

Post a Comment