Friday, October 31, 2014

Chase Those Colds Away - Homemade Chicken Rice Soup

So they say chicken soup is good for the soul, but guess what, it's also great in easing the symptoms of the common cold.  There is no cure for the common cold, but eating chicken soup will definitely help you feel better.  It acts as an anti-inflammatory and temporarily speeds up the moving of mucus.  I know that sounds gross, but it may help the body kick a cold by battling the congestion and the inflammation.  It works by helping all that mucus move along and out of your body.

Most colds last 8 -9 days or sometimes up to 3 weeks.  That's a long time to not feel so good, and it's really rough if you work outside the home.  I have a few simple remedies in keeping colds at bay all year long - I constantly wash my hands, I keep sanitizer and wipes in my purse for when I am not near soap and water, I keep my hands away from my face, I wipe the handle of my shopping basket down before I touch it, get enough sleep and eat right.  There is no sure cure for the common cold but some of these strategies will help keep the germs away.

There are no colds in my house right now, but I made this Chicken Rice Soup anyway.  I usually make Chicken Noodle Soup in the Fall and Winter months, but decided to switch it up and use rice instead.  It was awesome!  Recipe below.

A few of my ingredients and get the chicken cooking in the pot.
 Dice celery, carrots, onions and add some seasonings to the pot.
 Cook up the rice and add to the pot, so delicious.
 Take the chicken out of the pot, remove from the bones and chop it up.
 Hot, yummy tasting, cold chasing, homemade Chicken Rice Soup. It's SOUL good!
 Homemade Chicken Rice Soup

Ingredients
6 cups of water
4 large chicken thighs
3 ribs of celery with leaves, diced
4 carrots, diced
1 large onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 - 32 oz. box of chicken broth
2 - 32 oz. boxes of chicken stock
1 tablespoon of kosher salt
1 1/2 teaspoons of pepper
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
2 teaspoons of fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon of dried thyme
3 cups of cooked white rice, cook according to the package directions

Directions
In a large soup pot, add the 6 cups of water and the chicken thighs, leave the skin and bones on the thighs. Cook on high heat until the chicken looks done, about 30 - 40 minutes, depending on the size of the thighs. Reduce heat to medium, leave the chicken in the pot and add the celery, carrots, onion, garlic, broth, stock, salt, pepper, parsley and thyme. Continue to cook for another 30 minutes.  In the meantime, start cooking the rice in a separate pot.

Remove the chicken from the pot to a bowl, let it cool. When you are able to handle it, remove the skin and pull the chicken off the bones.  Discard the skin and bones, chop the chicken up and add back to the pot. When the rice is ready, add to the pot, breaking up any rice that is stuck together.  Cook for another 5 minutes. Makes 12 servings.



0 comments:

Post a Comment