Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Cuttin' Clutter

I love Fall, it's my favorite time of year.  I think of Fall as my new beginning, a time to get in touch with people, get on a schedule, organize my  life and clean things out.  To me that's a good feeling, puts my life in order, call me crazy but I love order!

  My husband was talking to a female friend at work, she told him about this book she read and it helped her to clean up the clutter around her home.  He, bless his heart, ran right to Barnes and Noble and bought the book for me.  I got through 21 pages of the book and something hit me, I immediately jumped into action and started with my closet.  I spent 7 hours in there cleaning and didn't get through all of it.  I found things in there I didn't even know I had, things I have never worn, tags still on them, old clothes, clothes that were too big and some unfortunately too small.  Then I started with the shoes and handbags.  I had shoes in there that were a size and a half too small!  Why was I keeping this "stuff" I no longer needed?

As I age, gracefully I might add, I am finding I no longer need this "stuff" in my life.  I don't want anyone coming into my house when I die and saying "Oh my, what a bunch of crap she kept", and without going through my "stuff", pulling a dumpster up to the front of my house and dumping it all in.  I want to be able to have a say in what is important to me, and why I had to keep it.  I found my mothers death certificate in my closet, why was it in there, I have no idea, but I found it.  It doesn't belong in a bag on the floor of my closet, it belongs in my desk with other special important papers, so that's where it is now.  

This Fall I am cleaning out the house, I have been doing it slowly before this whole book thing happened, but now I am on it with a vengeance.  I want it done and it WILL get done. I have found out on my own, that I don't need all this "stuff" to be me and to be happy.  In the past I think I was holding on to it because I thought my kids could use some of it, but I found out that they don't want my "stuff", they have their own "stuff" and don't like the same things I do.

So off to the thrift store with all the things I am donating from my closet, and my motto now is to "let someone else enjoy my "stuff" and my good taste"! 

So this is the book that started my new way of life.  It's a good read by the way.  If you want to get your house in order this is the book for you.
OK, so this is the newly organized closet.  Everything color coordinated and in it's place.
 This little section with the shelves on the left, including the whole top shelf, I have let my hubby use.  He has to clean this part out.  I didn't know what he wanted to keep or donate, so I left it for him to choose. The right side is mine.  I still have to clean out the drawers on both sides of the island, it's probably another 2 hours of cleaning, but for the most part it's done and I am happy with it, now on to the next room. 
Three huge bags are off to the thrift store!

















0 comments:

Post a Comment