Friday, September 25, 2015

Easy As 1, 2, 3 Apple Cake

I have to start making smaller portions of meals and desserts, now that two of my kids are back in college and the other is working all the time.  On most nights, it's just me and the hubby.  I have never in my life cooked or baked for just two people, and that my friends is hard when you are used to cooking for five or more.

So, I am getting on the ball and changing the way I cook.  I don't mind having something leftover, but I don't want enough leftover to feed and army of people.  I have to rethink the way I cook and bake, so as to not waste food.  Smaller portions, make a smaller me and the hubby!

I started last week with the Filet Mignon I made, check out that blog on September 18.  This week I made an Easy Apple Cake for dessert.
Recipe Below.
To print recipe, click, highlight and print.
To view pictures in a larger format, click on them.

I always start my baking by getting everything out and at my fingertips so I don't forget anything.  Here, I sliced my apples and sprinkled them with cinnamon sugar, and measured everything out.  So, apples ready and eggs and sugar ready to be mixed.
Beat eggs and sugar until light and fluffy.
They should be a pale yellow color.   Then add the flour 1/2 at a time...... 
......and mix after each.
Pour into a grease and floured baking pan, I used a round one.
Top with the cinnamon apples and just gently press them in a little.
And off to the oven it goes!
Almost done and the house smells fantastic!
And how good......
 does this look?  Dust with a little powdered sugar and.....
......a little scoop of vanilla bean ice cream and caramel sauce finishes it off.
Easy As 1,2,3 Apple Cake

Ingredients
2 medium size baking apples, McIntosh, Granny Smith are good
1/4 cup of cinnamon sugar
3 large eggs
1 cup of sugar
1 cup unbleached flour
1/4 teaspoon of cardamom, optional  or use 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract (see note)

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Leave the skin on the apples and core and slice them.  Toss with the cinnamon sugar, set aside.  Spray a round baking pan with Bakers Joy, or just grease and flour the pan. Beat the eggs and the 1 cup of sugar in a medium mixing bowl, until almost white and fluffy.  Add 1/2 the flour and mix until combined, then add the other half and mix well.  Add the cardamom or the vanilla and mix completely.

Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan, and arrange the apple slices in pattern of your choice, gently press into the batter, don't press all the way in you want to be able to see them.  Bake for 35-40 minutes (all ovens are different), or until a cake tester comes out clean.  If it doesn't get brown on top, I changed the setting on my oven to broil for about 1 minute to brown the top, be careful you have to watch it!  Serve with vanilla bean ice cream and caramel sauce. Makes 6-8 servings.

NOTE:  Cardamom is a strong and aromatic spice, and is commonly used in Swedish baking for cookies and cakes. It has citrus and herbal overtones.  It pairs well with cinnamon, nutmeg allspice, lemons and oranges.  It is on the pricey side, so if you don't want to purchase for this recipe just use vanilla.  





0 comments:

Post a Comment