Friday, September 18, 2015

Simple Dinner

I was on a trip to the grocery store, and realized I forgot to take something out of the freezer for dinner, and thought I would pick something up that was easy to cook.  As I was passing the meat department, I was looking at beef, these little babies caught my eye.  When I saw they were Filet Mignon, my curiosity peeked about the price.  Now, I usually don't go near this cut of meat, too expensive for my pocket book, but what I really wanted to see was the price, and daydream about how the other half lives who can afford this meat.  Well, to my surprise these 2 cuts of beef were only $8.98, and yes that was for both of them!  They were the portion size that you would get in a restaurant.  It truly was my day because I only needed 2 of them.  I couldn't believe the price, so I checked to see if my eyeglasses were clean, they were, so I took them home with me.

I made a simple dinner that night, you don't need much to go along with Filet Mignon.  It was raining, so instead of putting them on the grill outside, I used my grill pan inside.  I added 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 2 tablespoons of butter and heated the pan over medium-high heat until the butter melted.  Salt and peppered both sides of the meat, and got them grilling.  Then I added a small box of baby bella mushrooms into one side of the pan.  After I got nice grill marks on one side of the meat I turned both pieces to the other side.  Toss those mushrooms so they get nice and brown.
These were restaurant quality in looks and taste.
I served my simple dinner with a tossed salad and Parmesan cheese crisps sprinkled on top.  
This whole meal, including the salad, cost about $7 per person, it certainly beats the restaurant prices and was just as good!  So we ate our meal, with a glass of wine, joking to "please pass the Grey Poupon".  It was fun until we were done eating.  Reality sets in fast, dishes and cleanup had to be done, no maid service, oh well..........


0 comments:

Post a Comment