Monday, June 15, 2015

Oh, My My, Tomatoes!

My tomato plants are finally producing tomatoes, and I can't wait to pick them.  There is nothing like a fresh tomato that you grew from your very own garden.  I remember growing up, my grandparents grew all kinds of vegetables in their garden, and we would pick fresh tomatoes right from the plant, sprinkle with a little salt and bite right into it, ahhh those were the days.  In my garden I planted beefsteak, big boy, plum, grape and yellow grape tomato plants this year, and I hope I get a bumper crop.  I will need them, since one of the big box stores I go to stopped selling my favorite bruschetta.  Now I have to make my own, so having all the tomatoes will help, I won't have to buy them,  I had to purchase some yesterday, my tomatoes are still green but growing, to make homemade bruschetta.  I could eat this stuff everyday for lunch it's so good!  Recipe below.
To print recipe, click on it, highlight and print.

I started with a box of plum/Roma tomatoes, they are the best I think, very meaty.  Fresh basil and parsley from my garden and a few other ingredients.
 I like using red onion because it gives the bruschetta pretty color.
 My plums or Roma tomatoes as they are called.
 I scoop the seeds with a teaspoon.
 Slice them down and then dice them, so they look like this.
Toss all the ingredients in a bowl.
 Scoop it on top of crostini and it's a meal for me.  If there are any leftovers, I store it in a canning jar.
 Homemade Tomato Bruschetta

Ingredients
12 plum/Roma tomatoes
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 red onion, minced
10 basil leaves, cut chiffonade style (roll leaves up and slice)
1 tablespoon fresh chopped Italian flat leaf parsley
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper

Directions
Slice all the tomatoes in half, then scoop the seeds with a teaspoon and discard them.  Slice the tomatoes lengthwise then dice them. Toss the tomatoes into a medium size bowl, with the remaining ingredients and mix together.  Store in a covered container.  Makes about 2 1/2 cups.




0 comments:

Post a Comment