Friday, May 2, 2014

Homemade Almond Butter

My son the pescetarian asked me to make him almond butter.  I don't know how to make almond butter or peanut butter for that matter.  Call me crazy, but I like JIF, it's my family fav, that's what I buy. I told him I would give it a shot and try and make it.  So I got to work, I had a huge bag of almonds in the pantry, got those out, and the food processor.  This is my version of homemade almond butter.

I started with 4 cups of plain whole almonds.  Spread on a baking sheet and roast in a 350 degree oven for 10 -12  minutes, doing this releases the oils.  Let them cool, then pulse them in the food processor until they are chopped up.  Then on high until finely ground and resemble corn meal.
 Continue to grind on high and it will start to form at crust at the bottom of the bowl.  Stop the food processor, remove the lid, take out the blade, scrap the mixture into a bowl.  Replace the blade and pour the mixture back into the food processor.  Put the lid back on....
turn on high speed and drizzle about 2 - 4 tablespoons of canola oil into the top (depending how thick you want it, I started with 2 tablespoons but then used 4, so start slow)
it will become almond butter very quickly.  Scoop out into a reusable container and refrigerate.  I had to look up how to store this.  Once the nuts are ground and the oil is added, it should be refrigerated so it does not become rancid.  Any time nuts are ground they are open to oxidizing quickly, creating rancidity.  
Store covered tightly or in a mason jar in the refrigerator.









0 comments:

Post a Comment