Thursday, May 15, 2014

Spring Has Arrived, Finally!

Well, after all that bad winter and spring weather, everything is finally blooming.  We got moving in the yard, the hubby and I over the weekend, cleaned up some more of the gardens and planted a lot of new things.  We have an animal problem on the property, deer and groundhogs.  They eat everything including the trees!  It's awful, all the money spent and they feast on it.  I have tried everything to discouraged them, but nothing has worked.  So, now I did my homework and research and planted things that they don't like, not the things that I like though.  And so it goes, nature wins again!

This is the front garden last year, everything new planted, it didn't grow much until this year.  It finally took off, just starting to blossom and it looks beautiful, still have to mulch, but no deer yet!
This is the other side of the garden, still combating a groundhog over there, he took out another rhododendron, and have to replace it AGAIN!  This is third time he has ruined it digging a hole under it.  He left the other three bushes alone.  I also have Russian sage growing in this garden, lilacs, and the big trees to the left are crepe myrtles, they are just starting to bud.  All the gardens in the front of the house are a colorful mix of pink, fuchsia, purple, white and salmon hues.  I just happened to be walking in the door when I heard this bumble bee collecting pollen.  If you look closely you can see it on his back legs and on his body.  Busy little bee!
The other rhododendrons are blooming, as well as the azalea bushes, this one is hot pink.
Pretty white viburnum and a whole row of peonies, I love them!
Lavender is another favorite of mine I planted that along the sidewalk with coral belles, bleeding hearts and basil.  The columbines are standing tall.
This azalea is a beautiful deep dark salmon color, and the lilacs are surely a sign of spring.
 So, last year I planted this very cute garden all around the shed, I spent about $250 on plants, dirt, mulch.  Within a week the groundhog had eaten all of it! The only thing left standing was the knockout rose bush, yeah that's right, so guess what got replanted in that garden ?  Two more rose bushes, I need to get 5 more to finish it around to the other side.  I don't think he will be dining here anymore!
 This is the extent of my vegetable garden, can't have one on the ground the animals eat everything!  Two big tomato plants, 1 grape tomato plant, 2 sweet pepper and 2 basil.  I had a huge garden two years ago, planted everything - lots of tomatoes big and small, peppers, 3 different kinds of lettuce, zucchinis, cucumbers, eggplant, cantaloupe, fennel, all kinds of herbs, blueberries, strawberries.  I had a raised garden bed, fenced it with a four foot fence, staked it all along the bottom so no animals could get in.  I watched the groundhog climb the fence and it was all over from there!  The cat mint is growing, cute little purple flowers, lily tuft is planted in this garden too.
 Boston Ferns at Home Depot for $6.88 they were originally $14.99.  They are huge and beautiful.
Even the cat is catching some rays.  She is so happy the sun is finally out and shining!

0 comments:

Post a Comment