Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Vegetable Tales - A Roast Story

Vegetables are a favorite in my house, and we eat just about every vegetable that is grown.  One way I like to cook them, is to roast them in the oven.  I have found that any vegetable, with a little extra virgin olive oil and salt and pepper roasted in the oven, is a hit with my family.  I used to just steam all my vegetables and didn't even put butter on them, I thought they were healthier that way, then I started to roast them in the oven.  They taste so much better, and they cook up in a different way, GOOD!  I roasted asparagus for dinner on Sunday, with olive oil, salt, pepper and some freshly grated parmigiano - reggiano cheese on top, just when it was about done I added the cheese.  This is the only way I make asparagus and everyone loves it. 
Cheese is melted and ready to be served.
I picked up these portabella mushrooms stuffed with sausage, at Wegman's,  for a different take on a side dish.
And these sausage stuffed sweet cherry peppers as a side dish too.  When they cook in the oven they get caramelized and sweeter.
 Found a new sauce in the dairy case, with the flavored butters, at Wegman's.  It's a great accompaniment with Steak or Salmon.  Check out their butters and sauces, they are forever getting new ones, so try them.  I keep them in the freezer and thaw when needed.  I will be using a lot of these for Thanksgiving.
Check out the produce section in Costco, they now sell this Artisan Romaine Lettuce.  They come 5 heads to a bag, are smaller but thicker than regular Romaine heads and more tender.  The outside leaves are already trimmed, so for the most part, easy prep to make a salad. 




































0 comments:

Post a Comment