Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme.......

I like using fresh herbs as opposed to dried, when I am cooking.  In Spring every year if I plant nothing else, I always plant herbs.  I love being able to go right to the deck and cut whatever herbs I need for that nights dinner.  The fresh smell of basil is my all time favorite, then rosemary.  I always have basil, rosemary, Italian flat leaf parsley, sage, oregano, chives, cilantro and thyme planted in huge pots right outside the back door.  Having fresh herbs makes all the difference in a dish.  When I don't have fresh, I buy them at the market, but the bunches are always so big.  So, I started freezing them in olive oil, in ice cube trays.  It's easy and you can take out only what you need.  This is how I do it:

Start with ice cube trays from the the dollar store.  Chop up the herbs you want to freeze. Mark the tray on the side with the initial of the herb you are putting in the slot, so you know what is in there.  Scoop the herb into the slot and then fill with olive oil.  Cover and freeze.  When ready to use, pop out of the tray and defrost in a bowl or just add to whatever you are cooking.  








0 comments:

Post a Comment