Friday, July 12, 2013

A Quiet Place in the Woods

We live on a little over 2 acres of land so there is always something to plant wherever you want it, but we also have a lot of wild life, so that is a big problem.  I planted my vegetables on the deck this year, in this all weather wicker box, to keep the animals from eating all of what I planted.  I found it at BJ's Wholesale, it was only $99 and so far, so good!
I just picked my first red tomato and red and green lettuces twice already.
 The cucumbers are growing, they are little but growing.
 I already picked cubanelle peppers, these are banana peppers and bell peppers
 Being Italian and loving figs, I always wanted a fig tree.  In October last year at Lowe's, I found this one on clearance for $4.  So I picked it up and thought if it doesn't make it, not too much lost.  So I put it in the garage, it was too late to plant it, and left it go.  I only watered it twice, because I forgot it was out there.  When winter came I thought I should cover it, because that's what you do when it's outside, so I put a plastic bag over it, tied it shut, left it go and never looked at it again.  Spring came and I was planting everything else, then I remembered it was in the garage and went to get it.  To my surprise this little fighter of a plant, bloomed and pushed it's branches right through the plastic bag!  I had to cut the bag away from the branches because they had leaves on them. I put it outside and now I have all these figs growing on the tree - can't wait to eat them!
 I found this lemon tree and thought I would give it shot.  I tried growing one before, it didn't make it. I use a lot of lemons in cooking or just for water with lemon.  I have a bunch of lemons growing on this one and more are coming, there are blooms on it again, we'll see how it goes.  
 We planted sea grasses all along the creek bank next to the house. I love them, they make a really nice border.  These were only a stalk when we bought them at a grocery store now they are about 5-6 feet wide. They grow very fast in the right place. I also have them planted all around the deck.  They require very little maintenance, a big plus when you don't have time to spend outside.
 Hydrangeas blooming, finally after 2 years!
Russian sage peeking out through the rhododendrons and azaleas, it smells so good and the bees love it.  Be careful where you plant it though, it's very invasive
 WHY HELLO THERE!  A few of the neighbors dropped by to check out what I was doing. The deer, we have herds of them.  They are not afraid and will walk right up to the house. We also have foxes, raccoons, hawks, owls, chipmunks, groundhogs, hummingbirds and all kinds of other birds.  Very peaceful atomosphere and only 1 block off the main drag.


0 comments:

Post a Comment