Monday, July 22, 2013

Around the Kitchen Table - Sunday Dinner

Sunday dinner was always a big meal in our house, even growing up I can remember going to my grandparents house and my grand mom making homemade pasta and bread.  Her food and my mothers food were always good, they were both great cooks.  If you went home hungry it was your own fault because they both cooked like an army was coming for dinner.  But now, if my kids aren't working or away at school, it usually is just me and the husband for dinner.  On a rare occasion, like last night, at least 4 of us will be home for dinner and I try to make something nice to eat.  We love sitting around the kitchen table, poking harmless fun at each other, telling stories, catching up with our week, we have a lot of laughs and get to enjoy a great meal at the same time.  Our Rib Eye Steak dinner last night for 4 people was $41.20!  If all 4 of us went to a restaurant and had this meal it would have been well over $100 and that would not include the tip.   

Went to Wegman's, what a great store, and purchased 2 very thick rib eye steaks from the fresh meat counter.  A little salt and pepper and into the oven they went on 400 degrees for about 20 minutes, then my hubby put them on the grill for about another 10 minutes.  They came off the grill juicy, tender and a little pink.  I do not like my red meat mooing at me!

Picked up white 4 ears of sweet white corn for $1.00. I put butter, salt and pepper, wrapped them in foil and put them on the grill, very sweet and tender corn this way.  Washed, poked and baked  4 Idaho potatoes and served with sour cream, cheddar cheese and bacon.

Grilled up Baby Portabella mushrooms in olive oil, butter and garlic.

 And we ALWAYS have bread with dinner, it's an Italian thing.  An artisan loaf of Wegman's bread.  If you don't shop there for anything else just go to their bread/bakery department it is FABULOUS! Warmed in the oven because my family likes their dinner bread warm.



0 comments:

Post a Comment