Thursday, July 24, 2014

Angel and Rabe

While I was perusing the veggie aisle at my local grocery store for some interesting veggies to eat, I picked up a bunch of fresh broccoli rabe, also called rapi or rapini, and an acorn squash (more on the squash later).  I wanted to break out of my red sauce and pasta routine and make something new.  Rabe is a cruciferous vegetable much like broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, you get the picture.  All the parts are edible, the buds look like small broccoli heads, it's also a great source for vitamins A, C, K, potassium, calcium and iron.  Grab a bunch of this healthy, green, leafy veggie today, there are alot of fantastic food dishes to make with it.  Add it to sauces, salads and sandwiches.  This is how I made mine -

My rabe, fresh from the grocery store, olive oil and garlic.  Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil to a large frying pan.  Chop up 4-5 big cloves of garlic, add to the pan, saute until fragrant.
Clean the rabe, trim the stems, I don't like too many stems, but it if you do, eat them it's ok.  Chop the rabe, sprinkle with salt and pepper, add to the garlic with 1/4 cup of water and the juice of 1/2 of a lemon, cook until tender.
 While the rabe is cooking, start a pot of salted water and bring to a boil for the angel hair pasta.  Cook angel hair to your liking, drain, toss with another 2 tablespoons of olive oil, the rabe and parmesan cheese.
 I served my pasta with pesto and cheese bread for a delicious meal.
NOTE:  I used 1/2 lb of angel hair for four people and had leftovers




0 comments:

Post a Comment