Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Blooms, Birds and Bugs

The summer gardens are in bloom, some things for the first time, others growing like crazy.  I took a walk around the yard yesterday and was so surprised to see what came up.

This is the first time my hydrangeas bloomed since I planted them two years ago.  Unfortunately the deer ate the blooms off of my other one, these are so pretty.  The pink flowers are enormous Crepe Myrtle trees.  They don't really have a scent, but I do cut a bouquet and bring them into the house.
 This is how big they have gotten, they will have to be trimmed next year so the squirrels do not get on the roof.  They provide a nice border between the house and the creek.
 A Mimosa tree lines the front yard, they are also very pretty, but a little messy.
 We have alot of wild raspberries all over the property, the deer do eat them when they are not eating all of my flowers and bushes!  They are very prickly.
A large day lily garden was planted out front around a circle of trees. All colors and varieties, these are just three of them.
 A big Rose of Sharon tree and lots of ferns.
 Newly planted this year is Milkweed.  The bees and butterflies love this stuff.  Vibrant in color so it attracts them, as well as ladybugs, hummingbirds and other pollinators.
The lavender is in full swing.  I had a hard time growing this before, but I think I finally hit on the right spot for it.  There is a very large basil plant growing right behind it.  I have pruned that 4 times already this summer and it still keeps growing!
 Knockout roses are doing a knockout job!
 I moved this birdhouse and a house wren nested inside.  It's tucked in the back of a snowball viburnum bush.
This little pink/purple flower ground cover is called Tickseed.  It spreads quickly and covers hard to plant areas of ground.  My bird condo I found at a yard sale for $5. I am sure next year it will be fully rented.
The birds need to bathe so a birdbath is tucked among the Russian Sage, Rhododendrons, Azaleas and Lilacs.  They feed on a number of bird feeders on the property, I should claim them as dependents for the amount of bird food they eat!
 And as I was done my walk and coming in the front door I saw this little guy, a grasshopper, on the door panel.  He is the first one I've seen this summer.  I am still waiting to see the praying mantises that always nest in these tall grasses that line the creek and the deck.  The cats go crazy when they see them. 


0 comments:

Post a Comment