Wednesday, July 9, 2014

I Love Summer Berries!

No matter what time of year it is, I always have berries in the house.  If my favorite grocery store does not have what I am looking for, I am on the hunt for them.  I use berries in a lot of ways, for breakfast in cereal, desserts, salads, salsas or just eating them plain with homemade whipped cream.  They not only taste good, but they are so good for you, double plus in my book.

It's very hot here on the east coast, 96-98 degrees and very, very humid, almost unbearable.  So, instead of grabbing a popsicle, ice cream or some other cold treat, I used my berries that I had on hand and made a delicious dessert.  

Early in the morning, I washed, dried and laid the berries out on a baking sheet and put them in the freezer.  When I was ready to serve my frozen treat, I took them out while I was making my chocolate sauce.
 In a double boiler, so the chocolate cooks properly, I used 1 16 oz. package of white chocolate chips (the good kind!) and 1 cup of half and half (you can also use heavy cream) and 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla.  On medium-low heat, simmer on the stove top while stirring, so the chocolate melts.  You can also make this sauce with dark or milk chocolate if you don't like white chocolate.  No double boiler, no problem, use a smaller pan on the bottom, fill with about 1 cup of water, but make sure it will not touch the bottom of the larger pan on top if it boils up.
 Arrange frozen berries on a decorative plate with an edge, don't want any of the sauce to escape!
 Pour the hot sauce over the berries..... 
 and serve to happy guests, they will love it!

1 comment: