Monday, July 7, 2014

Old Fashion Cucumber Salad

I was reminiscing the other day about foods my mom always use to make.  Cucumber salad was one.  I  would eat the whole bowl when she made it.  I loved cucumbers as a kid and I think her salad was the reason why.  When I think about how she made it or where her recipe came from, I found it odd that she used cloves in it.  But let me tell you, it's fantastic.  I don't know why the cloves make it taste better, they just do.  I think I duplicated her recipe pretty well.  I will get my sister to be the judge, she will know for sure.

Into a bowl - 3 English cucumbers, peeled, cut in half then sliced.  I used 1/2 of a red onion and 1/2 of a Vidalia onion, cut them in half then sliced them.  
Add 2 teaspoons of kosher salt, 1 teaspoon of black pepper, 1 tablespoon of whole cloves and 1/2 cup of sugar, stir together.   Pour 1 1/2 cups of apple cider vinegar and 1/2 cup of water over the top and stir to combine. 
Cover the salad with plastic wrap and let sit at room temperature for 2 - 2 1/2 hours.  Stir twice during that time.  After the salad has sat at room temp, drain the salad of some of the juice.  Stir, cover and refrigerate until ready to use.






0 comments:

Post a Comment