Saturday, July 5, 2014

Cheery Cherry Pie Cookies

So, I needed to make a red and white dessert for my July 4th picnic.  I already had a can of cherries and was going to make a cheesecake and top it with them, too much work and time involved in that though. My sister was coming and loves cherry pie, I never made one from scratch and didn't want to buy one, so I came up with these cookies.  All I needed to buy was a roll of sugar cookie dough.  Everybody loves a sugar cookie so I knew they would be a hit at my picnic.  And so it goes, I created these little Cherry Pie Cookies.  This is how I made them -  

1 roll of sugar cookie dough, cut it in half then cut the halves into 12 slices.  Roll the slices into balls.
 I did not use liners in the first batch, I just greased the pan with butter, but I recommend using foil muffin pan liners, they were hard to lift out of the pan without the liners.  The liners made it easy and then I just peeled them away from the cookie.  Place a ball of dough in each cup.  Bake the dough for about 15 minutes.  Take out of the oven and fill.  My filling, I strained a little of the thick jelly off of it.  I put 3- 4 cherries in each cookie.
 Then I topped them with a crunchy oatmeal almond topping.  Mix 1/2 cup of oatmeal, 1/4 cup sliced almonds, 2 tablespoons of brown sugar and 2 tablespoons of butter cut into 8 pieces.  Use a pastry blender or your fingers to mix the butter into the other ingredients so it is crumbly.
 Top each cookie with the crumbly topping and back in the oven for another 3 - 4 minutes until bubbly, crispy and browned.
 Remove from pan/liners and set on a parchment paper lined cooling rack.  Mix up the glaze - 1 1/2 cups of powdered sugar, 1-2 tablespoons of milk, depending on the thickness of the glaze, and 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla.  Fill a resealable bag with the glaze and make a small cut at one end.  Drizzle over the cooled cookies.  Can you say YUMMY!
Oh, and look who moseyed into the yard because he smelled cookies! I guess he wants one.



1 comment: