Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Battling Nature - All GOD's Creatures Great and Small


This year I decided to fancy - up the shed.  It's been lonely without any plants and just plain blah.  So I put my husband to work with the rototiller and had him dig out two gardens, 18" wide and the length of the shed, I put one on the side and one in the back.  There is a sidewalk on the other side.  I wanted to plant deer and groundhog resistant plants, we have ALOT of those animals, so I went searching on the Internet and found that they don't like textured or fuzzy leafed flowers.  So off to the nursery I went and came home with Rudebeckia (Black Eyed Susan), Bee Balm and Montana Bluette.  Below are before and after pictures when you set out a feast for all GOD's creatures great and small! Nothing will stop them. I love nature, but COME ON give me a break here.

BEFORE - the side of the shed, just planted

BEFORE - the back of the shed, just planted

AFTER - the side of the shed, 2 weeks later

AFTER - the back of the shed, 2 weeks later.  The only thing left standing
 was a knockout rose bush.  Looks like they enjoyed the buffet
 I planted for them!  Guess what I will be
 planting  next year.

Also put in a new rhododendron bush, you guessed it -groundhog
ate through the roots and dug himself a home.
  Never underestimate the power of a groundhog.

Not only do deer and groundhogs feast, so do the bats!
We have alot of hummingbirds that fly to this feeder all day and into dusk
everyday.  I filled it one night and to my surprise was empty the next morning.
Bats sucked it dry.  Do you all get the picture of what I am dealing with?


I bought these citronella candles to keep the bugs away, but evidently it
doesn't keep raccoons away.  I didn't even have a chance to light them.
If you look closely you can see the claw marks
in the wax.  He was actually eating the wax! It was all over my rug
 and deck and the oil from the candle stained both.

I found this Spanish Lavender plant at Home Depot.  It was in a 6" pot 
it's growing like crazy and smells so good when the wind blows.

I moved the solar birdbath/water fountain (QVC) to a better place and gathered some
of the deck flower pots around the bottom.  Looks prettier now.

I also moved the ferns from the entryway. They were starting
 to get too much sun. When that happens they get burnt and brown.

I love ivy but never plant it in a garden, it is very invasive
and will ruin everything in its path.  I found three different
varieties at an Amish nursery.  All of them were only one small strand
 of ivy in a pot for .99 cents each.  I planted them all in one pot and 
set it out of the sun on the coffee table on the deck.

My husband and I built a base for our other fire pit.
 Purchased the pavers and sand ($48.00),
 the Fire Pit ($29.99 end of season sale)
and the Chairs ($7.99 each, also end of season sale)
all at Home Depot







0 comments:

Post a Comment