Saturday, June 15, 2013

Little Touches Go a Long Way


I found that painting the front door for every season really changes the way the front of the house looks.  I only buy a quart of paint, in the color I want, and I can paint the door for 2 seasons.  I painted the door a deep orange - rust color called Falling Leaves from Glidden and had Home Depot color match it.  I did this in the Fall. 

For Summer I painted it this color called Loyal Blue from Sherwin Williams.  What a difference a little paint and time make!

I bought 2 of these Boston Ferns for either side of the door. I only paid $8.98 each for them at Lowe's.  Look how huge and gorgeous they are.  Then I found 2 of these containers at BJ's Wholesale for $19.99 each, and they are weather resistant.  Spending a little time looking around will save you money ladies!  Everywhere else I looked for the ferns was charging $24.99 and up.  Lowe's was the cheapest. 

Then I made a new wreath for the door.  I found all the flowers at Dollar Tree ($1.00) and Michael's for 65% off so the whole wreath cost about $10.00! I re-purposed an old grapevine wreath that I had hanging in the garage.  Pull out old stuff and you never know what beauty you can create from it.

This is the completed entryway.  Sorry my picture is a little crooked I have a problem with taking pictures! I am working on it.

 Redecorated the mantle - AGAIN!  I told you I get tired of the way things look.

Also did the book shelf.

I made my husband this little music nook in the bedroom, when I painted and re-decorated,  for his organ/piano.  He took piano lessons when he was a kid and later as an adult.  He loves playing piano when he has time (that means when I am not bugging him to do stuff for me).  We have this nook right next to the fireplace.  It fits perfectly and is not out in the middle of the floor like before.  I painted the frames, that I got at the thrift store (.25 - .50), and found some old sheet music and piano books that make up the artwork.  Now he has his own little place to "tickle the ivorys".

1 comment:

  1. Your entryway looks fabulous!!! The ferns are a nice finish!

    ReplyDelete