Sunday, June 9, 2013

OH SALAD, I LOVE YOU

One of my favorite quick meals is a salad.  You can do alot with lettuce.  Mix anything into it and it's a meal.  This is my very own concoction.  I call it the Southwestern Chicken Salad with BBQ Ranch Dressing, its filling and tasty.  The recipe is below the pictures.  ENJOY!

So, chop 1/2 head of romaine lettuce put into a bowl.  I always use white because it looks so pretty 



Now add the 1/2 bag of mixed baby lettuces.  Looks good, right

Now add the black olives, avocado, onion and corn. Looks better, right

Now add the cabbage, carrots, cucumber, radishes and jalepeno. Yummy!

 Now, finish it off with the tomatoes, cheese, chicken and the cilantro.  This is looking good!


Now it's always nice to share.  Put the dressing on, can't let the salad go naked


Top with the crunchy tortilla strips. And OLE! You have dinner tonight all in one bowl.


SOUTHWESTERN CHICKEN SALAD

6 oz grilled chicken - I use Tyson grilled chicken strips then warm them up in a little olive oil in a frying pan.
1/2 head of romaine lettuce, chopped
1/2 bag of mixed baby lettuces
1 - small can of sliced black olives
1 - lime, juiced
1 - avocado, seeded and scooped
1/2 red onion, sliced
1/2 cup of frozen corn, thawed
1/2 cup shredded red cabbage - I use bagged
1/2 cup of carrots - I use bagged shredded or baby carrots sliced
1/2 cup of cucumber - I use English cukes they have barely any seeds
2 radishes, sliced
1/2 jalepeno pepper, minced - if you don't like a little heat don't put it in
4 oz shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup grape tomatoes, sliced in half
2 tsp - chopped cilantro

Cook the chicken if you like. I do just to get it a little brown.  Start building the salad with the lettuces.  Dice up the avocado and sprinkle with the lime juice (then discard the juice). This keeps it green and from turning brown . Start layering the rest of your ingredients ending with the cilantro. Serve with the dressing.  Recipe is below.  I recommend not putting the dressing on the whole salad just in case you have leftovers (you won't), it's just a suggestion.

BBQ RANCH DRESSING

1 cup of ranch dressing -I use Hidden Valley Ranch
3 TBLS. bbq sauce - I use Sweet Baby Ray's - because is sweet baby!

3/4 cup cruncy tortilla strips, I use Fresh Express

Put ranch dressing and bbq sauce into a container or jar with a lid and shake, shake , shake your booty until it's all combined! Serve with the salad then top the salad with tortilla strips.



0 comments:

Post a Comment