Friday, June 7, 2013

Painting Yard Sale Finds


I was painting our master bedroom and redoing the decor and was looking for 2 large nightstands for each side of our bed.  So, I went yard sale shopping one Saturday and picked up this Ethan Allen 3 drawer bureau with  dividers for $40.00.  It is solid wood, walnut I think, and had brass drawer pulls on it.  So I went to work sanding the whole thing.  I polyurethaned the top but left it wood and painted the bottom with Rustoleum silver textured paint and then put a Martha Stewart Metallic Black Coffee glaze over it.  It looks like weathered tin.  I also painted the drawer pulls a bronze color to make it look even more aged.




This is another bureau that I had and it was close to the same size as my yard sale find.  I also applied the same finish to this piece.  Now I have 2 nightstands that look similar on either side of the bed.  Total cost for both was $83.00 (1 bureau, paint and sandpaper), plus a little time and elbow grease.  Not bad!

2 comments:

  1. Really i appreciate the effort you made to share the knowledge.The topic here i found was really effective to the topic which i was researching for a long time. La Femme En Chemise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome! I will be painting more yard sale finds and antique furniture in the future when it gets much cooler here. It's in the mid 90's, full humidity, and too hot to do anything outside. I appreciate your comments and please stay tuned to the blog!

      Delete