Friday, December 20, 2013

Bacon, Bacon, Baconl

I mentioned before in one of my very early blogs, a tip on how I cook my bacon.  I use a baking sheet and a cooling rack, line the bacon up on the rack, bake in the oven at 300 degrees, because I found that temperature keeps the smoking down.  What you get is, straight (not curly), crispy and less fatty bacon - at least a little bit less fatty.  And you know it's always a problem on what to do with the fat.  You can't dump it down the drain, it will get clogged, and putting it in the trash can, well then you have to worry about it leaking and that would really be a mess!  So, this is what I do - I get a bowl, line it with tin foil, and pour the fat in.   Wait until it congeals, roll it up in the foil and throw it away, even the bowl does not get dirty!  And you all know I love the birds, so in the Winter months I use it for them.  When the bacon drippings just starts to congeal I throw birdseed in it, mix in chopped up oranges and cranberries.  I punch a hole in a plastic container, run twine through it and pat the suet in, then hang on nearby trees in the yard - Voila! Your very own, handmade with love, bird feed. 


0 comments:

Post a Comment