Sunday, December 1, 2013

Broccoli and Cauliflower Casserole

My gears were going, I was looking for something different for a vegetable side dish for Thanksgiving.  Corn is always a side dish, that's a given, and I always make my roasted green beans which are delicious.  This year I wanted to make something other than plain old peas or carrots, and decided on broccoli and cauliflower.  But, how to make it so the kids would eat it was another trick to pull off.  I wanted it creamy and cheesy, so went to the pantry and the fridge and pulled out mushroom soup and cheddar cheese.  And, to add a little crunch, because they always like that, I used bread crumbs to top the casserole with.  Well, let me tell you they loved it! My sister doesn't even like cauliflower and she ate. This is how I made it.

A few of the ingredients to pull off my casserole.
Topped with the creamy sauce and cheese and into the oven it goes.  Bake it, then top with the breadcrumbs for a very tasty casserole.  It's almost a meal in itself.
Creamy Cheddar Broccoli and Cauliflower

2 heads of fresh broccoli
1 head of cauliflower
1 block of Cracker Barrel Sharp Cheddar Cheese, grated
2 cans of Campbell's low salt cream of mushroom soup
1/4 cup of of Hellmann's Light Mayonnaise
1 cup of seasoned bread crumbs
5 tablespoons of melted butter

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Clean and cut the broccoli and cauliflower into florets.  Arrange them in the bottom of a 9 x 13 baking dish. Mix the 2 cans of soup with the mayo.  Stir in 1 1/2 cups of the grated cheese.  Bake in the oven for 40 minutes.  Mix the bread crumbs with the melted butter.  Top the casserole with the breadcrumbs and bake for another 15 minutes or until breadcrumbs are browned.  Leave the casserole in the oven and turn it off.  Sprinkle the other 1/2 cup of cheese that is left, over the top.  Remove from oven when the cheese is melted and serve.  Makes 8 - 10 servings.

0 comments:

Post a Comment